Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

If non-active hours are set for during the night and the PC is left in Sleep, Hibernate or even Shutdown then when updates are available, does
Windows switch on the PC with the Wake-up Timers to download and install the updates ?

If so, does it then do the second leg of updating and restart to consolidate the updates and then switch the PC off or back to the Mode it was in ?

If so, does it then do the second leg of updating and restart to consolidate the updates and then switch the PC off and back to the mode it was in ?
Or are you faced with a live PC screen when you wake up in the morning ?

I do all my updates manually, have rigged the non-active hours accordingly and disabled the Wake-up timers.
I have no wish to wake up in the morning and find my PC has been on half the night.

I have searched the web on this, but have found nothing to answer my question.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello John Bull,

Just a few things I found during a search. In case there of interest to you.

Windows 10 provides the means to stop automatic updates while it sleeps, it’s just not apparent. Go into Settings > Update & Security > Advanced Options, and all you will find are settings to delay and pause “feature” and “quality” updates.

A hibernating PC won’t wake to update. It’s powered off, as hibernate is a deeper version of sleep mode that saves the current system state to the local hard drive or SSD, not the memory. The only difference between this mode and fully shutting down your PC is that apps, programs, and files remain open after waking from hibernation.

Does Windows Update run in sleep mode?
They will not continue to download, but Windows will wake-up at the pre-determined update time to apply updates (usually 3am by default). This only works if the computer is asleep... if it is fully shut-down or in hibernate mode, it will not turn itself on.