Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my monitor starting to fail or is it problem with Windows 10 pro?

monitor distortion Windows 10 Windows 10 pro Win 10 Win 10 pro broken failure dead pixels

Best Answer phillpower2 , 05 June 2020 - 10:44 AM

Look in the Slimjet settings, you should be able to disable it there, please the example in the attachment below which is from my Chrome settings. You are welcome btw  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries, no time constraints here but it is always nice when folk have the courtesy to let us know that there will be a delay between replies so thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Your welcome for letting you know about the time delay and thanks for your patience. 

I have tested the computer with the balanced power feature (and am now using it from time to time on high performance for some other tasks I have to do) and with the drives disconnected.

What I have noticed now is that the issue only occurs when I use the slimjet portable browser based on google chrome. It doesn't occur at all from what I have seen so far in google chrome, firefox or comodo icedragon or on the desktop screen. Just with slimjet portable only and that browser is up to date . 

It also gave this strange effect when I browsed my email too in that browser. See how the message is pushed over and only shows on part of the page?  https://ibb.co/Nmp5mBT

At this point is it safe to say that the problem is only in that browser and that nothing is wrong with the computer or monitor? Or is something wrong in the computer that is causing the issue with the monitor distortion in the browser? I just want to be clear on this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Good work on tracking this down to slimjet portable which I am sorry to say I have no knowledge of and this is the first time that I have come across it, for testing purposes what about trying the download to your computer and running it from that as opposed to the USB device to see if the screen is the same, it will not take long to install and uninstall  once you have done your test.

A word of caution regarding the Windows Power Plan.

High Performance is a form of overclocking that is known to cause stability and overheating issues and the setting should only be used for gaming type notebooks that have a discrete GPU that needs the extra power. 

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Ok thanks for letting me know. I will test Slimjet as installed directly on the computer and not from the portable version. Then I will get back to you in a few days with the results.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:thumbsup:

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks for your patience. I tested the installed version of Slimjet and the monitor distortion still occurs while using that version as well. 

Have you ever heard of this monitor distortion issue happening in any other browser before? I don't remember ever seeing this happen until recently with Slimjet. In the past I when using this browser I never had this issue with either the portable or installed version. I didn't even have issues like that in Linux with it. So is it safe to say that maybe this browser is just glitching and they might just fix it in a future update?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Never heard of a browser causing such an issues before, plenty of BSOD but nothing graphic related, do you know if hardware acceleration is enabled on the computer.

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Your welcome. I don't know if hardware acceleration is enabled. How do I check for that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Please see the copy/paste info below;

Right-click an empty space on your desktop and click on Display settings.
Scroll down the Display settings options page to Advanced display settings and open it.
In the next window, click Display adapter properties for display 1.
The graphics properties window will open. Choose the Troubleshoot tab.
Click Change Settings.
In the Display Adapter Troubleshooter bar, move the Hardware acceleration pointer to the left to disable hardware acceleration on your PC.
Click OK to save your changes and exit.

Restart the computer, try the browser then get back to us.

I`m at a loss on this tbh and found the above suggestion after googling Slimjet graphics issues.

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate your working with me diligently on this even though it's a bit beyond your knowledge. 

After I clicked Display adapter properties for display 1 there was no troubleshoot tab for me to choose. Is there another way to check if the acceleration is enabled or what should I do next?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Look in the Slimjet settings, you should be able to disable it there, please the example in the attachment below which is from my Chrome settings.

You are welcome btw  :)

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks for clarifying. I disabled the acceleration. I will get back to you in another few days after testing the browser again. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Fingers crossed for you  :thumbsup:

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks for your concern, advice and for waiting for my response. Since I disabled the hardware acceleration i haven't seen the monitor distortion in Slimjet in either portable version or the installed version. I saw the monitor pull the information to the left once in slimjet portable like in this image https://ibb.co/Nmp5mBT but no more since that one time after the acceleration was disabled. 

Is it safe to say now that the problem is completely fixed? Or since that monitor issue happened once (like in the image I posted) after I disabled that setting in slimjet portable should I try to do some more testing to be completely sure?

Edited by leader 2, 09 June 2020 - 02:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Five days of testing with only one hiccup in the portable version suggests to me that the issue is resolved but no harm in giving it another couple of days so that you have done a full weeks worth of testing, there is no other type of testing to be done and if you were to start tinkering you may well create problems that you may not be able to fix so best advice is to leave well alone.