Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts.

• Please log in to reply

dufferz

dufferz

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Looking for some help with this computer that is driving me insane.  Some days it works fine other days it restarts every 10 minutes. 

This has been going on for a while and I have tried numerous things.  I have checked for virui using online scanners eset and trendmiro, none found.

I downloaded KRD rescue disk, Eset Rescue disk, and Adaware Rescue disk.  Each on will load and start to run, but reboot the computer shortly there after. 

Since these run on different operating systems I thought maybe hardware,  So a ran the 8 hour long diagnostics built into the lenovo computer. NOTHING. 

All normal.  I ran the lenovo diagnostics in Windows 10, all normal.  Today i suggesfully ran vipre in safe mode.  Found a problem in a file I downloaded yesterday, but nothing else. 

It trying to find the cause, I have replaced the keyborad, mouse, and new hdmi cable to the monitor, removed the KVM switch to my second computer.  

Good thing I don't have any hair to pull out..........

Please Help.,

http://speccy.pirifo...djJbrOGRuqBWUiX

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   dufferz,

There is more that needs to be done but you should address the most important first as apart from causing stability issues you may have no AV protection.

First thing that I noticed in your Speccy report was that you have multiple AVs installed which is a real bad idea, you do not need either Avast or Bitdefender when running Windows 10 either, see explanation below;

Antivirus
Avast Antivirus
Antivirus: Disabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Antimalware
Antivirus: Enabled
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled

Having more than one AV installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (explanation courtesy of admin).

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

You can uninstall Avast in the Control  Panel but should you have any problems see Avast clean removal info here Please create a new system restore point first.

Bitdefender removal tools here

If you stick with only Windows Defender, once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.  

dufferz

dufferz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I have uninstalled bitdefender, but avast will just not go away.  I ran avastcleaner several times in safe mode. reinstalled avast and uninstalled again.  nothing is getting rid of it. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are not on your own, Avast has become something of a nightmare I`m afraid  :(

Not ideal but for now try doing a custom install of Avast and see how things go, see tutorial here use the guide to just install the Avast AV and nothing else.

dufferz

dufferz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

No luck I installed as the tutorial suggested.  then uninstalled from control panel, booted to safe mode and ran avastclear and still no luck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry if I was not clear but what I was suggesting was that you download and keep just the Avast AV without all the other rubbish and see how things went, it is the best option atm else we may need to get your thread looked at by a malware/security expert who have tools and experience with dealing with issues like this.

dufferz

dufferz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Okay, I reinstalled it per the tutorial.  awaiting further help.  Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Next thing is to get Windows fully up to date, you still have version 1903 but we are up to version 1909 + have had a couple of large cumulative updates as well;

Hotfixes
Installed
5/13/2020 Logitech - Other hardware - Logitech USB Input Device
Logitech Other hardware software update released in September,
5/13/2020 2020-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4556799)

Troubleshooting computer problems is a waste of time when it is known that Windows is out of date as any one of a number of the missing hot fixes could be the solution to any problem that you may be having. 

Once you have Windows 10 fully up to date can you post a new Speccy url for us.

dufferz

dufferz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Done.

http://speccy.pirifo...MM2LQlD1p0CcHqB

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello dufferz.

Just to let you know

Your helper Phillpower is in the United Kingdom and may not respond till Tomorrow  as it's 12:07 there.

Thanks

zep

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks Joe  :thumbsup:

Any more random restarts since making the suggested changes dufferz, you can hold off with us letting us know until you are uploading the info that has been requested below.

Speccy looks better overall so next check is your temps and voltages.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

speedfan.png

So that we have a comparison to Speedfan, download, run and grab a screenshot of HWMonitor (free).

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

dufferz

dufferz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Numerous restarts. 

Speedfan dosen't appear to like my machine. 

dufferz

dufferz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Screen image

Attached Thumbnails

• Screem.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries, Speedfan can only read any sensors that are on the MB and yours doesnt have any as the same info is missing in HWMonitor as well, which btw we are missing the bottom part of, can you do the following + upload the missing HWMonitor info as well;

This is looking like a possible PSU problem, can you post the exact model name or number of the Lenovo so we do some research on the power supply.

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures, the DRAM voltage and the  +3.3V, +5V and the +12V rails on the PSU and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does most often suggest a PSU problem.

dufferz

dufferz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

There are no voltage readings in Bios that I can find.

Lenovo ideacenre 510A-15ABR. 

I ran the full diagnostics from BIOS before I came here for help.  It took 8hours to run and never failed in that test.

I would think if it were a PSU it would have restarted during that test. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen1.JPG
  • screen2.JPG