Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office 2007 - Do I need a new version?

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello ppl,

I am waiting for a new USB CD/DVD player to be delivered so I can re-install programs after upgrading to Windows 10 and then resetting it.

My version of Microsoft Office is old (2007). I am wondering whether it will be compatible with Windows 10. If not, what is the most economical way to get a more up to date version of Office? I do not really want to have to pay to renew a licence every year if possible, I would prefer to pay one sum to get a CD that will last, but am not sure if such a thing exists these days.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Still using the same MS Office Standard 2007 as I have been since not sure when, have reinstalled in Vista, skipped W7, but reinstalled in 8, 8.1 and 10 with no issue.

Do you still have your Office product key.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

Oh that's good. Yes, I still have my CD in its box complete with the Office product key. I was only a bit concerned because I read somewhere that it is no longer receiving updates.

I brought a reasonably priced 2013 version of Word for the Vaio when I installed Windows 10 on that, but didn't want to have to do that on here. So thanks for the good news! :)

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Chris,

You are correct that Office 2007 no longer receives updates but even when it was still supported I never got any updates, MS had well moved on and left it behind, it does everything that I need so I have no intention of replacing it, the last Office updates were installed on 07/10/19 after a clean install of W10 fwiw.

NB: I have my Office on a USB thumbdrive as well and I use it to install on my old Vaio as the DVD drive has never worked with Windows 10.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again Phill,

NB: I have my Office on a USB thumbdrive as well and I use it to install on my old Vaio as the DVD drive has never worked with Windows 10.

That's interesting. I never knew (though often wondered) if you could copy a program onto a thumb drive like that. At the moment, I have still got Office on my Windows 7 clone on my second hard drive. Could I somehow copy it from there onto a thumb drive and then reinstall it in my new Windows 10 here? If so, how exactly?

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Right click on the Office folder then send it to your USB thumbdrive and you should be good to go.

I copied the Office disk to a thumbdrive on my desktop, inserted the thumbdrive into the notebook and clicked on Set up to install Office on the Vaio.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hi Phill,

You have got me here! I tried to do this as you said, but it didn't work. I was feeling a bit puzzled, but thinking it must be down to me makng a mistake, so I searched on Google for more instructions. Everything I found though told me that this is not possible, unless you use some special transfer software. I know you said you did it, but I am just not sure how. You don't by any chance remember doing anything else, do you?

Anyway, no worries really..... I will just wait until the cd/dvd drive arrives and keep my fingers and toes crossed that the cd will then install the program okay.

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Chris,

Please see attachment below, Office on my thumbdrive;

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hi Phill,

Nope, just cannot find files like that on my Windows 7 drive. Don't know if it is perhaps to do with the fact that for some unknown reason I didn't have all the Office Enterprise programs installed on there, just Word. Or maybe they are just hidden somewhere I can't find them.

Anyway, I had given up for the day and was playing scrabble with my husband - when I suddenly had a brainwave (it only happens extremely rarely, but once in a blue moon the old cogs of my brain actually do get turning!). I switched my Sony Vaio on, put the Microsoft CD in the CD/DVD drive and the thumb drive into a USB socket - and then copied the files from the CD to the thumb drive. Hey presto, the programs are now installed! :yes:

I am a very happy bunny now - and I even beat my husband at scrabble! :laughing:

Thanks very much for your help. Hope you have a really good week.

Chris.

UPDATE Sorry, was talking rubbish, of course all the Office programs were installed on the other drive. Still don't know where all the files were hiding though. I guess it will remain a mystery.

Edited by Channeal, 17 May 2020 - 05:13 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Chris,

Glad you got Office sorted but what are you going to do with the USB disk drive now.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello Phill,

I obviously overworked my brain yesterday: it has just taken me ages to suss out what on earth you were talking about here! :laughing:

It's okay, I still need the CD/DVD drive. I still have a couple of programs to load from CD, but mainly I want it to play music. I have had a couple of CDs here for ages waiting to be loaded onto the computer (most of my music is from digital downloads, but I still buy CDs occasionally). So I definitely still need the drive :thumbsup:

While you are here helping me, please could I ask another quick question? I had a program called Touro Cloud Backup which came with the external hard drive I purchased about two or three years ago. I was using it to automatically back up my data every single time I made any changes. I liked doing it that way - but I found out a little while ago that this was no longer happening. I emailed them and apparently they deleted my account because of lack of use - by which I assume they meant that I wasn't using the Cloud bit of the program. What I am asking now is whether you know of a program that will do the same thing. i.e. back up data as and when changes happen? (I think I could sign up to the old program again, but presumably they will just come along eventually and delete my account all over again without warning).

Many thanks.

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Chris,

Not sure if it does the same as what you had previously but have you looked at OneDrive, excuse the title of the tutorial but see info here

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi Phill,

Thanks very much for your suggestion, but that is not what I was looking for at all. I don't want any kind of backup facility to store my backups on as I have lots of space on my external drive. I just want my documents, photos and music files to be backed up onto my external drive, with any changes recorded as and when they happen.

I decided to sign up for the program again and it is backing everything up at this very moment. At the same time, I have written an ever-so-slightly stroppy email to the Touro Cloud folks to ask them why they didn't tell me they were disabling my account and to ask how I can avoid this happening again. I wonder if I will get a helpful answer.

Anyway, thanks very much for your help with this and with my original Microsoft Office question. (I am still puzzling over where the program files were in Windows 7 - I might go into it again later and have another look, as it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I do so hate to leave mysteries unsolved!)

Take care,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Ah a local back up program, typical of me not knowing about it, I wont pay for anything that I can do my self, annual service on the car asides that is  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Lol! I agree with you (or rather, my husband would agree - and he has trained me well! :laughing: )

The program is free and is actually very good - as long as they don't disable your account, that is!  :yes: