Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFi issues with Virgin Media Hub 3.0

• Please log in to reply

JayJustJay

JayJustJay

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here so I'm not sure how this works properly but I'll post my question in the hope that someone far more experienced can help.

I am currently signed up to the M200 Virgin Media internet package and I have the Hub 3.0.

There are approximately 30 devices connected to the WiFi at any one time. The devices include Smart plugs, Smart lights, TVs, Mobile phones, Games Consoles, Google speakers, Laptops and CCTV Cameras.

The problem I have is that my IMOU CCTV which is placed outside of our house is not getting decent enough speeds or stable connection. I can't use the HD function on it at present as it just crashes, the only thing that barely works is SD (anyone who has CCTV cameras will know SD quality is just not good enough if someone comes onto your property, you want to see who it actually is rather than a blurry figure)

I've tried my best to split the devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the WiFi which has helped slightly but not solved the problem.
I have had this problem for a few months now and it's become really frustrating.

I want to be able to use all my devices without having the issue of the connection becoming unstable or having very low speeds. I also don't want to reduce the amount of devices we have as the majority of them are the smart light bulbs and plugs (I'm lazy, I know).

I have ordered the TP Link Deco M5 Triple Pack in the hope that putting the HUB 3.0 in modem mode and using the Deco M5 as a router will solve the problem. Can anyone help me and give me any idea whether or not this will make any difference or have I just wasted £150?

Thank you in advance. I'll pay you in alcohol and Sunday roast dinners, jokes.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Apparently the hub 3.0 is a major bottleneck.

https://www.expertre...ia-hub-3-review

The TP Link (or almost any other router) should be better depending on the placement of the unit closest to the CCTV.

JayJustJay

JayJustJay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you RKinner!
It's been driving me insane, when I contacted Virgin Media they gave me the not very helpful advice of "you have too many devices connected to the WiFi, you need to disconnect some" not easy to do when you have a smart home.
Hopefully the TP-Link Deco M5 will make a difference.

Thruppence

Thruppence

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Sorry for the blatant thread Ressurection , but I’m having exactly this issue. Did the tp-link plan work? 

I’ve gone into the settings on the virgin hub 3.0, turned off the 5ghz, then Changed the names of the 2.4 and 5ghz signals to separate them and still the cameras won’t connect. . . . . . .

so now wondering if using a tp-link TL-WR940N would solve the problem. . . . . .

going to have a go at putting the virgin hub into modem mode tomorrow. . . . .

but any help gratefully received. . . . . . .

Seriously considering leaving Virgin after 1 day. 

Edited by Thruppence, 19 March 2021 - 02:49 PM.

JayJustJay

JayJustJay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Sorry for the blatant thread Ressurection , but I’m having exactly this issue. Did the tp-link plan work? 

I’ve gone into the settings on the virgin hub 3.0, turned off the 5ghz, then Changed the names of the 2.4 and 5ghz signals to separate them and still the cameras won’t connect. . . . . . .

so now wondering if using a tp-link TL-WR940N would solve the problem. . . . . .

going to have a go at putting the virgin hub into modem mode tomorrow. . . . .

but any help gratefully received. . . . . . .

Seriously considering leaving Virgin after 1 day.

Hi Thruppence,

Yes it did work!
I have had no issues since switching, it appeared that the Virgin Hub just wasn't strong enough to deal with all the connections. I would recommend the TP-Link Deco M5 triple pack, covers my entire house, I have full HD CCTV cameras, smart lights, smart sockets, smart heating, a few smart TVs, game consoles, laptops, phones all connected at the same time and I've not had any issues at all.

Hope this helps!
Jay.

JayJustJay

JayJustJay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've attached screenshots of the Deco app as well, which blocks any malware or viruses. It's definitely worth the money. Let me know how it goes :)

Screenshot_20210320-105648.png Screenshot_20210320-105701.png