Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer screen has suddenly shrunk (Resolved).

Best Answer scarlet.rose , 30 May 2020 - 01:10 PM

Thanks a lot for taking the time to search for the compatible driver download and give me those instructions phillpower2. You are very kind. I was about to write that I have just complete... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

That`s computers for you  :bashhead:

Best thing to do now is to create a new system restore point now that you have the correct drivers and things are stable.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I've created the restore point.

When I turn on the computer tomorrow and find the screen is still normal I'll believe it..........then you can mark this solved. :)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

What kind of monitor is it? If it is a CRT, then it is likely failing.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Kemasa - Thank you for your comment. I think it is a CRT..........but the issue was rectified after I reinstalled the graphics card drivers today.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If it is a older, tube type monitor, a CRT, then based on what you said, it is failing. I have seen that before. As I understand it, it is the flyback transformer. It may be working now, but it will fail and what you have done didn't actually fix it. You will need a new monitor.

It will come and go, but sooner or later it will stop working.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
I'll see what phillpower2 says. I need a new computer...........but have to use this for as long as I can. I have a number of concerns. No point in spending lots of money on old equipment.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Just get a used monitor, that will solve the problem for now.

The CRT monitors are glass tubes, fairly deep, not like the modern flat panel displays. Younger people might not be familiar with them, but what you said it did is exactly what happens with CRT monitors. A new monitor won't do what you said because they work differently.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Thank you for the information. Now I have something else to worry about! I don't like buying used / second hand parts - would want new old stock if possible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You can get very good refurbished hardware with a warranty for far less than that of purchasing new and being the age that the present system is I would say that you have had good value for money there.

Let`s see what transpires today when you boot up. 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

? The monitor is about to fail. Computer auto starts in the morning, I have to click on continue for 'no fan detected' - walked in and found a white flashing display, which soon corrected itself.

Also thought I smelt burning. Will check cable after I have switched off.

I have a £200 PC World voucher...........not enough to get the desktop I want, but something!

If I disappear you know why. :(

Edited by scarlet.rose, 31 May 2020 - 08:00 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

With these problems mounting up it looks like the computer is giving you advanced warning that it is on its way out  :(

Not sure what £200 from PCWorld will get you but worth a look is the refurb here

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Thank you - really don't like second hand, but will take a look. The burning smell (if it was coming from the computer) - what about that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I reckon the CPU cooling fan not working is a good contender with a close second being dust inside the power supply.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Concerned about electrical fire.............and what happens when I turn the computer on again - final curtain. Those refurbished computers look good! https://www.expertec...ows-10-pro.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Being honest i have no idea how you have kept the computer going if you have no working CPU cooling fan  :headscratch:

Yes those systems are very good for what they cost, everything that you need and for almost £25 less than it would cost you to purchase just Windows 10 on its own.