Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD: Attempted Write To Readonly Memory (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer agent_numpty , 17 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

Hey,A little update for ya. I did a few weeks of testing on "Stick 2" and didn't have a single issue. It had a few minor stutters under load but overall went well."Stick 1" on the other hand was a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

I've had this BSOD error come up 5 times now. 4 times during a game called Satisfactory on the Epic Games launcher, and once with the Nvidia Driver Update.

I've ran the "sfc" checker after about the 3rd time and it found corrupted system files which it fixed, but it didnt solve the problem. I've also done the Memory checker for the RAM but thats fine.

Any help much appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

If the computer is a desktop can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

PSU is a Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU (got the name off Amazon)

Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.pirifo...1Zw6JrFNDSQoOiZ

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No drivers are identified as the cause of the crash which suggests that the issue is hardware related, what is flagged up is memory_corruption so we may need to get you to run memtest.

Re the PSU, that is not an appropriate PSU for the GPU on its own let alone all the additional HDDs and screens you have hooked up, what Corsair recommend their CX range be used for;

CX Series™ power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds and desktop PC computer upgrades, offering high reliability and low noise, 

With the amount of additional hardware you have I wouldn`t use anything less than a 650W Gold efficiency rated PSU, see info here

In addition to the above, notice that you have Norton AV which is a known resource hog, is it the paid for or free version, memory usage is very high at 40% when the computer is not under load and Norton could be responsible.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Apologies. That PSU was the old one. The new one is a XFX 750W XXX Edition 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply, bought when I got the graphics card.

I've had Norton AV for years and its never caused any problems.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool on restart and it found a hardware issue. Does this mean I'll have to replace one or both RAM sticks and, if so, any recommendations?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Norton asides for now.

How to physically test your RAM.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for twenty seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU or if a notebook by touching a household radiator or associated copper feed pipe.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of RAM and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of RAM in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of RAM has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of RAM and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all RAM until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Now the really long winded part;

If no individual stick of memory or slot on the MB has an obvious problem all of the above needs to be repeated but this time by running Memtest 86 for each stick of RAM and in each slot on the MB and for at least 4/5 passes, for some reason that many of us cannot explain a stick of RAM may work in one slot on a MB but not in another.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is RAM in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I know for a fact the motherboard is an MSI Gaming 5 Z97. Here is the site for the manual.

I'll have to run the tests some time next weekend. PC seems to run fine without a load, so I'm gonna settle with that and not run anything strenuous like games until I get the sticks tested.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Your MB manual does not stipulate what slot to use when only using the one stick of RAM so I would try Dimm slot two first (second one away from the CPU) as this is what is often suggested for other brands of board, if no joy, try slot one which is nearest to the CPU.

Never any rush here but it is appreciated when folks let us know that they will not be around so thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Managed to get some time after work to test the RAM sticks.

Both sticks were tested in DIMM2.

Tested Stick 1 on the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool and passed. Switched to Stick 2 and passed.

Stick 2 was then ran through with memtest86 5x and passed without errors.

I swapped the sticks back and ran it through memtest86 and the screen went black with only the start menu button and clock showing at the bottom. Force restarted the PC coz I couldn't do anything else and tried again. Same thing happened. Ran it back through WMDT and it said Hardware problem found.

Whats the next step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Try using the computer with just the stick of RAM that passed Memtest, if all ok, remove that stick, put the second stick in and again test.

Use the computer as you normally would and for as long as possible while doing the above testing.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hey,

A little update for ya. I did a few weeks of testing on "Stick 2" and didn't have a single issue. It had a few minor stutters under load but overall went well.

"Stick 1" on the other hand was a bad egg. Swapped them over and within about half an hour, my PC shut down completely and seemed like it was trying to start up again but kept turning off? Could that be something to do with the RAM stick at all?

Anyway, I've swapped the sticks back to the good one and bought a brand new RAM stick to replace it thats the same as the old one. All is good now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad to hear that the issue is now resolved and thank you for confirming that it was a bad stick of RAM as was suspected  :thumbsup: