Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In Task Manager, Disk is usually showing 100% (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 07 June 2020 - 09:29 AM

Did you notice my edited reply #25. Upgrading the RAM is the best and least expensive option. There are a couple of ways to reinstall Windows, properly and by a reset within Windows, as t... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jrsollas

jrsollas

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I am not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue, but it seems like when I reboot or power up my laptop, everything runs extremely slow and when I run Task Manager, the Disk Percentage is always hovering around 100%. It seems to show AntiMalware Service Executable as a culprit, but I have gone on Windows Defender and checked to make sure everything is running correctly, which it seems to be. I try to use the Twitch App and my computer completely freezes up and does not allow me to do anything. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Jennifer

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...iQJJXlc3vlIhqww

I hope this is what was needed. Thank you for your help.

Edited by jrsollas, 02 June 2020 - 03:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That`s it thanks  :thumbsup:  

Various things can cause 100% disk usage but being that you get it from boot it rules out some of them.

Nothing of particular note in Speccy but there are a couple of things to look at along the way but for now see the below;

Couple of questions if I may;

How long ago did your first notice this.

Does the disk usage drop to normal if you leave the computer sitting in Task Manager for a while.

For you to do;

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Thank you for your reply. I started noticing this lag when I restart my laptop from off or from a restart, as well as when I try to run the program Twitch Studio. Mind you, I am not trying to stream anything, I am just trying to navigate the app and add content. I also downloaded Kast, which I used two weeks ago to stream something from Twitch without a problem. Since then, I cannot access either without the laptop locking up and freezing, as well as 100% disk usage. When I try to go to task manager while Twitch will not load, it shows 100% disk and like 94% CPU. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program to no avail. My computer lags hard now even when Twitch is not opened or in use.

Also, the file to be attached says it is too big. Please advise. It is 7.9 mb

Thanks, Jen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry but I meant how long ago did you first notice the slow start up times, your computer is shown to have recently installed two major Windows 10 updates so as an example were you getting the slow boot times before they were installed or did the problem start after the were installed, the two updates shown in Speccy are below;

5/31/2020 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909
Install the latest update for Windows 10: Windows 10, version
5/31/2020 Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909
Install the latest update for Windows 10: Windows 10, version

The slow boot and Twitch are most likely unrelated and should be addressed separately so as not to complicate things.

Are you saving the Autoruns log as a txt, there is no way that it should be too large to upload tbh.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Attached File  LAPTOP-ADH6JVF6.txt   47.61KB   422 downloads

The slow times... I cannot be sure if it started around the Windows Updates or Twitch. All I can verify is that I cannot run Twitch at all and the disk space and CPU maxes out and locks up my computer. I am unsure what to do, as I would like to utilize that program as well as Kast. Did the document attach properly? Thank you for your help with everything :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the log  :thumbsup:

All I am seeing in the log is a whole load of HP bloatware which has been there all along + a lot of Adobe stuff which you will know more about how long it has been on the computer than I will.

I will mention again that slow boot times and Twitch are most unlikely related, poor computer spec and internet service are likely to cause problems with Twitch neither of which will affect boot times.

We will check Process Explorer and then give you a test to run.

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator). 

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log.

Wait a minimum of a minute for things to settle down then grab an expanded/full screen screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose file...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the Attach This File tab...then on the lower right...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Attached Thumbnails

• processexplorerprtscrn.jpg

Edited by jrsollas, 04 June 2020 - 01:34 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Those numbers are very good, the higher the system idle process number and the lower the CPU usage number the better and you will not get much better than what you have.

Couple of things for you to do, no rush with the second one as I will be going offline shortly as I have an early start.

(1) Change the Windows Power Plan to Balanced rather than the HP recommended setting that you have now, see if you can do this now before I go offline, the power plans may be hidden and need me to provide the steps for you to restore them.

Advertisements

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I'm sorry. I am unsure where the balanced option is

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Power Options

Attached Thumbnails

• poweroptions.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Go into Settings, click on the Power & Sleep tab to the left then click on Additional power settings which is to the right.

Edit to add; Balanced is hidden so need to do the following, going offline now I`m afraid.

1. Press Windows key + X from the keyboard.

2. Choose Command prompt from the context menu.
3. In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes then press Enter.

4. Exit command prompt.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page + it avoids filling up folks inbox.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I'm not seeing balanced :( I'm sorry...

Attached Thumbnails

• page 1.png
  • page 2.png
  • page 3.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Have you done the steps in my edited reply #13 to restore any hidden power plans.