Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 keeps restarting/rebooting (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 04 June 2020 - 05:41 AM

On the event viewer, it states as critical error kernel power (41) task category 63.  There is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is us... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rianyingg

rianyingg

• Pip
  • 8 posts

This happened recently after I installed new GPU Asus Rx480 and a chinese PSU ( i never heard of it and i bet you too ) called 1Attack ATX600-R.

The event occured everytime I play a game and the visual on my screen getting pretty crowdy and then bam. My pc just rebooted with no warning or whatsoever.

On the event viewer, it states as critical error kernel power (41) task category 63.

I'll attach the log and my Speecy snapshot containing my PC Specs below

http://speccy.pirifo...OA2wIRX2oJUefDw

*edit : I can't seem to upload my crash log from the event viewer because im not permitted to upload .evtx file.

so I'm just gonna copy whatever it says here :

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power       [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}
      EventID 41       Version 6       Level 1       Task 63       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8000400000000002     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2020-06-04T07:29:13.626864200Z
      EventRecordID 2680       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 4       [ ThreadID] 8
      Channel System       Computer DESKTOP-QS1V863     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    BugcheckCode 0     BugcheckParameter1 0x0     BugcheckParameter2 0x0     BugcheckParameter3 0x0     BugcheckParameter4 0x0     SleepInProgress 0     PowerButtonTimestamp 0     BootAppStatus 0     Checkpoint 0     ConnectedStandbyInProgress false     SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0     CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0     BugcheckInfoFromEFI false     CheckpointStatus 0

Edited by rianyingg, 04 June 2020 - 04:24 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
✓  Best Answer
On the event viewer, it states as critical error kernel power (41) task category 63.

There is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the links in my sig.

Stop using that PSU asap else you are likely to end up with all of your hardware getting fried, the warning above is telling you that the PSU basically just turned off and this happens when a power supply cannot supply the power required and by trying to provide the power it overheats and turns off,

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, RAM, add on video card etc.

The attached video here is one that I use as an example to show the sort of equipment that is required to conclusively test a PSU.

What the equipment does is simulate a computer under load and so the PSU behaves as it would when it is powering your PC, multi-meters and the basic testing devices that you can purchase from some merchants only test the basic voltage output from the PSU rails and so cannot be relied on as 100% conclusive.

Jonny Guru video

rianyingg

rianyingg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thank you for the fast response.

Im planning on changing the PSU first thing in the morning tomorrow. I'll update as soon as i can.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Computer components are scarce atm and prices have gone up as a consequence so you may struggle to get what you need which is a minimum of a good quality brand  Bronze efficiency rated 450/500W PSU depending on whether you have the 4 or 8GB version of the Asus Rx480.

You are welcome btw  :)

rianyingg

rianyingg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

What's the different between the bronze and the gold ?

Im using the 8gb, what do you suggest Im going for ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Gold have higher efficiency performance, are made of better components, have a longer warranty period and are more appropriate for powering an add on video card, they cost more.

Bronze are only intended for entry level desktops, have a shorter warranty, are made with lower quality components, cost less.

Only suggested a Bronze because your GPU is not new, had it of been a Gold would have been recommended.

That info was in my reply #4, 450W for the 4GB or 500W for the 8GB  :)

rianyingg

rianyingg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

That info was in my reply #4, 450W for the 4GB or 500W for the 8GB  :)

Ahh silly me.

Anyway, I've changed my PSU now and updated all of my drivers and it my PC runs flawlessly. No more sudden shutdown.

Thank you for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Great news and thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)