Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Voltage mismatch

Best Answer b. cripps , 07 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

Thank you, Kemasa. Hope that's the case.And good to hear from you again, Phill. Hope you are still kicking the ball around.Thanks to both of you,Bry Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

b. cripps

b. cripps

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hey Geeks,

Bought a new computer recently and just noticed that the AC power supply (charger) has an output of 19V. The computer specifies 19.5V.

Searching around the GtoG forum, phillpower2 is pretty adamant that the voltage should be exactly the same. (Amperage and wattage the same or more.) I contacted the retailer about ordering a replacement charger but if the one sold with the computer (provided by the manufacturer, I assume) is not matched correctly, then maybe I need to rethink my purchase.

Comments please…

Bry

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

If it came with the computer, I wouldn't worry about it.

The voltage listed on the computer could be the max voltage, not the working voltage range. Look at the specs for the computer and see what it lists for the voltage and the exact wording.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Searching around the GtoG forum, phillpower2 is pretty adamant that the voltage should be exactly the same.

When quoting what you have read elsewhere can you please post a link to the information to which you refer so that any guidance can be seen to be in the context that it was given, thanks.

If the computer that you have purchased is out of the box new it should have the appropriate adaptor bundled with it, if it hasn't for some reason, inform the merchant that unless the correct adaptor is provided you will be requesting a refund, if you do have and do use the wrong adaptor and something goes wrong after you have already notified the seller you will have compromised yourself as the seller can claim that the wrong adaptor was shipped in error and that the error was being rectified by way of shipping the correct adaptor.

Why you should use the appropriate adaptor and what can happen if you don`t is explained here

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thank you, Kemasa. Hope that's the case.

And good to hear from you again, Phill. Hope you are still kicking the ball around.

Thanks to both of you,

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hi Bry,

Likewise and hope you are keeping well where you are.

Still at it lock down permitting that is  :(