Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my usb hub failing and causing issues with my hard drives?

external hard drive usb hub windows 10 windows 10 pro hard drive hdd Error 0X800701B1 failure copy error

• Please log in to reply

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Sorry for any confusion. I ran the intel chipset tool first thinking that would fix the problem. The extended test didn't pass for the Seagate and I still have to run the extended test for the WD Elements drive. The Seatools asked for a fix long on the Seagate drive and it will take a long time to process as I have been running that fix for hours now and it still hasn't completed. Please give me several days to get back with you on this. I appreciate your patience.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

No hurry.  I don't keep track.  The test might run faster or better if you just have one drive connected.  It's acting like there is some bleed over between the drives.

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks for your understanding. What do you mean there is some bleed over between the drives?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

The SMART data shown on Speccy shows attributes that do not exist on Western Digital drives and these attributes all have the same values.  I'm thinking one drive may be sending its data when it is not supposed to. 

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Did the extended tests pass?

You could try one of the USB test tools here:

https://www.raymond....sb-flash-drive/

Probably want to use a clean USB drive and move it from port to port to see if it finds any problems.

You could look for an older version of the chipset utility but reading the notes it says it won't help USB.  Turns out Win 10 uses generic drivers for intel.  Win 7 had special drivers for USB and they needed to be uninstalled before updating.

https://www.intel.co...t-software.html

Do you have it installed?

Try searching for

device manager

hit Enter

scroll down to the bottom where it says Universal Serial Bus controllers and click on the arrow in front to open it up.

Right click on each of the drivers you see below Universal Serial Bus controllers and Uninstall Device.  Reboot when done.

Windows will reinstall the drivers and often this correct problems.

Thanks so much for your patience and forgive my late return to this thread. The drives took a very long time to run the tests on them (usually 3 days) and I was also very busy. 

The Seagate 8tb failed seatools testing. The WD Elements drive that I mentioned in my first post in this thread failed the WD diagnostic test and several days later gave an error in Windows saying Windows doesn't recognize the USB device and is no longer showing up in Windows. I bought another hdd (A Seagate 8tb expansion) to take it's place.

A I tested my other 2 drives (A WD Passport 3tb and A WD My book 6tb) to be on the safe side with the WD diagnostics tool. The WD passport 3tb said it had bad sectors that could possibly be repaired but when I tried to repair them it gave an error and did no repair. The 6tb passed.

I did the USB test you recommended. All ports passed on my usb hub. Does this mean the USB hub wasn't the problem and it just the drive had gone bad only?

As far as the Intel USB drivers I can't completely uninstall and reboot. This is because my 6tb hdd causes the computer to hang at startup and not go to the desktop screen. I can only get to the desktop when the surge protector my drives are plugged in is disconnected. Will the drivers reinstall if I uninstall them, shut down the computer (to unplug my surge protector) and then start the computer?

I appreciate any help you can give me concerning this because I'm not sure what the problem is.

Edited by leader 2, 06 July 2020 - 10:59 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You should be able to disconnect all of your external drive then do your intel stuff.  There's no need for them when upgrading drivers.

When you get so many failures at one time you look for a common denominator.  Are all drives on the same surge protector?  Perhaps the protector is defective and not providing the full AC voltage.  Try a different one.

Get CPU-Z and run a benchmark

CPU-Z is at:

https://www.cpuid.co...ares/cpu-z.html

You want the Setup Now button.  Download, Save and right click then Run As Admin.

Once you get it installed, always start it by right click and Run As Admin

Then click on the Bench tab then on Bench CPU.  When it stops, note what it says for This Processor under CPU Single Thread and what it says for This Processor at the bottom and tell me.

Mine says 181.2 and AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon Graphics.

For best results do not have anything else running and pause your anti-virus.

Can you try a drive on a different PC? 

I had an external drive that would prevent my PC from booting.  Turned out it had a bootable partition (I'd pulled it out of an old PC) and for some reason the PC was trying to boot from it. 

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I uninstalled the USBs and with my hard drives disconnected I rebooted the computer. During the shutdown I heard a beep that I thought came from the motherboard. I have heard many beep codes form the computer so I wondered what was wrong. Strangely at first my mouse wouldn't work at all, so I shut down and then powered back on. The mouse still didn't work when plugged directly into my computer so I put it on the usb hub. It was recognized and Windows showed an alert as it reinstalled itself.

I don't have another surge protector to try the hdd in. The thought came ot me that maybe the surge protector is aging and maybe is becoming unreliable. It's 3 years old. Do you think I should replace it with a new one and that it's too old?

CPU-Z said: This processor 330.3 and This processor Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 Ghz

When I tried the hdd on a different computer the same thing happened with it hanging at startup. My prior My book hdd did the same thing before I was sent this one to replace it. At first it didn't hang, but then after a while it did hang and this other one they sent has the same issue. I tried to reformat like a person suggested in a blog and add my data back after the reformat. Nothing changed so I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

PS After I uninstalled the drivers and got back on the computer the WD Elements drive I mentioned before as not showing up in windows is now showing up. Thanks for that advice but I'm still worried about that drive. Is it normal for a drive to seem like it's failed and then come back in windows like it's fine? Do you think the USB was causing this or it's just really failing?I think someone is wrong with that drive, but am not sure what to make of this.

Edited by leader 2, 07 July 2020 - 10:12 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

There is an i5-2400 on the CPU-z comparison page that only got 317 so the processor is running normally.  Does it still get the same number with all drives plugged in?

Can you give me a new Speccy now that the missing drive has shown up?

If you don't have another surge protector as a test can you just plug one of the drives that failed directly into the wall (and disconnect the others)?  Then do either a speedfan, a speccy or a drive test?

Search for

disk management

You should see all of your disks.  There are two panes and all disks are shown in both panes.  In the bottom pane look in the parentheses after the word Healthy.  If the first word is Boot and the drive letter is not C: then that's your problem with booting with the drive connected.  (If it doesn't say Healthy that's another problem.)

It's never normal for things to change without a reason.

The other thing that could cause the problems with your drives is bad memory.  You can run the builtin memory test but memtest86+ is better.

https://www.windowsc...lems-windows-10

https://www.memtest.org/

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I'm sorry in advance for anymore delays in my replying. I have been extremely busy lately and I expect to be for the forseeable future so I appreciate your patience in waiting for response in this thread or any others you may help me with.

With all the drives plugged in CPUz gives me 324.0 and This processor Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 Ghz.

I plugged one of the failed drives in the wall and it still failed the hard drive test. If it helps you to know about my WD Elements main drive that was in the original post and had failed it's now changed the drive letter again for a 3rd time recently. It's now letter M and I find that concerning since I heard changing drive letters without user modification is not a good sign for the drive.

The computer passed memtest86+.

All the drives are healthy including the WD Elements drive that failed and was having problems from my original post and the Seagate Expansion that failed the Seatools test. Only the C Drive shows Boot and not the WD My Book that hangs at startup.

I have also attached my new speccy log. Do you have anymore advice please?

Attached Files

Edited by leader 2, 12 July 2020 - 09:25 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for the delay.  Had to finish my taxes and wife said no forum work until taxes done.

Can you run the hard drive extended test on one of the drives that fails on another computer? 

Perhaps a new speccy log on another computer with one of the drives plugged in?

Advertisements

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Sure I understand. I have been busy too so it's no problem. Thanks for helping me.

Please allow me to get back to you after several days because the hard drive test will take a very long time to complete.

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I tested the WD Elements drive on another computer (the one in my topic starter post that was having problems) and it passed the WD Diagnostic this time on the other computer after failing that same test on my own computer.

I have also attached the speccy log with that drive plugged in on the other computer.

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

The original PC does not seem to have USB 3.0 capability.  You might want to look into getting something like:

FebSmart 2 Ports USB 3.0 Super Fast 5Gbps PCI Express (PCIe) Expansion Card
$15.99 at Amazon or

Tiergrade Superspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expasion Card with 15-Pin SATA Power Connector - PCI Express(PCIe) Expansion Card

$26.99 

If you get the second one you could eliminate your external hub.

Also I see that on the new PC the hard drive runs at SATA-III.  Don't know if this is a limitation caused by only having USB 2.0 or what. 

Search for

device manager

hit Enter.

Scroll down to

Storage Controllers

and click on the arrow in front.

You should see at least 2 items.  The top one is usually Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller.    Right click on the second one (Says  USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device on mine) and uninstall then reboot.  (Don't let it remove any drivers if it asks).  Then make a new Speccy log.  See if it still says:

BB
                                            Attribute name    Reported Uncorrectable Errors
                                            Real value    65,536
                                            Current    100
                                            Worst    100
                                            Threshold    0
                                            Raw Value    0000010000
                                            Status    Good
                                        BC
                                            Attribute name    Command Timeout
                                            Real value    70,911,676
                                            Current    100
                                            Worst    97
                                            Threshold    0
                                            Raw Value    00043A06BC
                                            Status    Good

What version of Windows 10 do you have?  (Settings, System, About, then scroll down to Windows Specification and you will see where it tells you the Version.  Mine is at 1909.  Latest is 2004 but I have an SSD drive and there is a hold on updating SSD systems)

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks your recommendation of those cards. Right now my budget is very tight so I'm not able to purchase those and I have no one to install them for me.

My version of Windows 10 is 1909.  I think I used to have the most up to date version and then couldn't use it because it was preventing me from using some hardware I had.

I will be back shortly with the info from the new speccy log from the other pc. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

By other PC I hope you mean the original one with the many external hard drives.   That's the one you should be deleting the driver on.