Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my usb hub failing and causing issues with my hard drives?

external hard drive usb hub windows 10 windows 10 pro hard drive hdd Error 0X800701B1 failure copy error

• Please log in to reply

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Would it be ok if I didn't update the Bios? The last time I tried that my computer got messed up.

There are vent holes on the power supply yes.

Do you want me test all the hard drives again or just the one that originally had the issue in my first post?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I think we are looking at something outside of Windows which is why I suggested the BIOS update but I just got a suggestion from one of the other helpers so we could wait on the BIOS update:

However I suspect the original upgrade from the prior operating system to W10, there was a underlying problem be it malware related(slim I think in this instance I personally think) or hardware/software. Knowing how notoriously bad the early free upgrades to W10 were and HP based machines in general are dire in my humble opinion. Now this may not seem relevant but worth a try:

The  Startup Repair option, run three times, then have the OP check again etc. No harm trying eh, then afterwards advise a check with https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers

I'd try at least two drives - the one that you had problems with and one other random USB drive.

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Before I test the drives I wanted to let you know I tried the Startup Repair as mentioned from your helper's comment. 

It went through the first time, but the second time I tried it said the Startup Repair couldn't repair the PC. Do you need the SrtTrail.txt and is there anything I need to do before getting drivers from the HP site you linked to? I was going to test the drives after you let me know since it will take a long time to test at least 2.

PS I am not trying to bold my text written here for emphasis. The bolding came from copying and pasting SrtTrail.txt from your helper's link and everything after that is bolded for some reason just so you know.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Probably a good idea to look at the SrtTrail.  Perhaps it will tell us something. 

You might try shutting it down and reseating the memory.  I recently had another PC that reported memory problems like yours with the benchmark program and that fixed it for him.

When you copy from a website you get the format info too.  You can avoid that by using Ctrl + Shift + v instead of just Ctrl + v.  Otherwise you have to select your copied text and then hit the B on the menu bar above once or twice until it is off.

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Thanks for letting me know that about the formatting. I didn't know how to copy without formatting.

I reseated the memory. Is there anything else I need to do to make sure that issue with the memory or whatever it caused with the computer is fixed? After that and you look at my SRT trail is it ok to scan the hard drives? I just didn't want to scan them until I was sure they could be scanned uninterrupted since they take so long to complete the scan. Or would I still need to scan the hard drives if the memory is ok and the SRT is fine?

EDIT PS: Is something wrong with the new Windows update? Whenever I right click in Windows most of my right click functions are gone (ie The New function is gone and I can't create a new folder, there was a context menu I guess it's called where you could right click a dvd folder and it would play in vlc, media player classic along wiht other functions, etc). Also when I try to click the New Folder button in windows explorer it refuses to create it no matter how much I click. The Caps lock button won't create text in all caps when I try to rename a folder. Do you know what I could do to fix this?

Here is my SRT trail below.

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Last successful boot time: ‎9/‎30/‎2020 4:33:41 AM (GMT)
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = K:\WINDOWS
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed: 
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code =  0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 141 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 27437 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 282 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 62 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 9547 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 47 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Event log diagnosis
Time taken = 79 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Internal state check
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Check for installed LCU
Time taken = 8359 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Check for installed driver updates
Time taken = 1656 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Check for pending package install
Time taken = 2985 ms

Test Performed: 
Name: Boot status test
Time taken = 15 ms

Root cause found: 
Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully.

Edited by leader 2, 05 October 2020 - 04:41 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Rerun the benchmark and let's see if that helped the memory any.

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Here's my benchmark link: https://www.userbenc...serRun/33786682

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Doesn't appear to have done any good.  Everything actually looks a bit worse. Did you forget to pause the anti-virus and close all programs?

See if you can set it to high performance (if we haven't already)  Windows makes it hard to do that but there is a way:

https://tunecomp.net...-power-options/

I wonder if your login has a problem.  Try creating a new login with admin right and then log into it.  Does it have the same problems?

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I had to turn my antivirus off because there is no pause feature and I did shut down all programs before the benchmark.

Here is my benchmark link after going to high performance mode in my regular login: https://www.userbenc...serRun/33827364

I created another login with admin rights and here is my benchmark from that login: https://www.userbenc...serRun/33827835

Does anything look any better or should I try something else? The Desktop part is barely better but I didn't think that meant much since it was better a while back when you first had me do the benchmark?

Is something wrong with the new Windows update? Whenever I right click in Windows most of my right click functions are gone (ie The New function is gone and I can't create a new folder, there was a context menu I guess it's called where you could right click a dvd folder and it would play in vlc, media player classic along wiht other functions, etc). Also when I try to click the New Folder button in windows explorer it refuses to create it no matter how much I click. The Caps lock button won't create text in all caps when I try to rename a folder. Do you know what I could do to fix this?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

The idea of the new login was to check if you still had the problem with New Folder etc.

You can try ShellExView and see if that helps:

download ShellExView.

http://www.nirsoft.n...s/shexview.html

Use this download:
http://www.nirsoft.n...xview_setup.exe

Once you get it installed, run it and look in the third or fourth column from the RIGHT. It should say MICROSOFT. Click once or twice on MICROSOFT so that items with NO are at the top.
Select all of the NO items and then click on the red led looking icon in the upper left. This should disable all of the non-microsoft additions to Explorer.   Also check the item named New to make sure it has not been disabled.  Reboot and see if anything changes.

If it doesn't change anything then go back in and turn everything back on.

Also there are some possibilities here:

https://answers.micr...2e-38288cedf7f8

click on the Down arrow to see more possibilities.

Advertisements

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Sorry for misunderstanding you about the new login creation. I thought you meant a new login would give better specs on the user benchmark.

The new login had the same problems mentioned below.

right click functions are gone (ie The New function is gone and I can't create a new folder, there was a context menu I guess it's called where you could right click a dvd folder and it would play in vlc, media player classic along wiht other functions, etc). Also when I try to click the New Folder button in windows explorer it refuses to create it no matter how much I click. The Caps lock button won't create text in all caps when I try to rename a folder. 

Disabling the NO items in ShellExView didn't fix the issues so I reenabled everything.

I tried the answers microsoft link.  (SFC) scan showed no issues and rebooting had no fixes. The Reset File Explorer (explorer.exe) process was already set the way it was supposed to be as they recommended in their post.

I tried the other fixes. The Repair install finally got the option back to right click and create a new folder and you can click new folder in the folder menu. Unfortunately right clicking a DVD folder gives no option to play in VLC media player or Media Player Classic. Those are options that are very important to me. You can't right click an iso image and mount it either or rename a folder to uppercase or sentence case. 

The lack of these options since the upgrade and I still can't access my network even with mapping the network drive are a concern to me. Would it be possible for me to reinstall Windows and delay any upcoming updates (especially the 2004 update) so I can avoid these issues? Is there a way to get VLC and Media Player Classic back in the right click menu options as well?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Try uninstalling VLC then reinstall.  When you do a reset you lose any customizations from 3rd party software.

To disable Windows updates:

https://www.cleverfi...windows-10.html

What happens when you try to map a network drive?  Where does it fail?

leader 2

leader 2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks for the suggestion to reinstall VLC. That fixed the problem. I also got back the Media Player Classic option on right click by reinstalling. I think I will hold off on reinstalling Windows and withholding updates for now as I try to see if things will be ok right now.

Mapping a network drive on both computers did nothing to allow me to access the network. My computer (w10pro) is upstairs and the other computer is downstairs (w8.1).
I can see the drives I networked on my own computer but not at all on w8.1. for the drives networked on w8.1 it can see it's own networked drives but not the ones from w10pro. 

W10PRO can see W8.1 on the network, but I can't access W8.1. It gives an error message that says: Windows cannot access HP Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem wiht your network. To try and identify and resolve network problems click Diagnose. Diagnose just says Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem.

Oddly enough w10pro can see w8.1 media device as well on the network. It opens windows media player when clicked and shows some pics from that computer in the pcitures folder. W8.1 can't see W10pro on the network at all. I've tried several fixes recommended on other sites (I can't rememember what they all were, but none worked). I'm desperate to fix the network issue and don't know what to do. The network worked fine briefly when I was forced to reinstall windows just recently but I was at an earlier version of Windows. I can't remember if I was at 1709 or 15something, but it hasn't worked since and wasn't working for a while before on w10pro before the forced reinstall.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I expect it's a permissions problem.  Have you turned on sharing for the folders you want to access?

Scroll down to

How to share files using File Explorer

on

https://pureinfotech...ing-windows-10/

When you try to map a network drive if it says it can't find it then have it look for the IPv4 address instead:  //192.168.x.y

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Also to save running up and down the steps, put TeamViewer on the remote PC

https://www.teamview...wnload/windows/

Chose the option to set it Custom Installation with unattended access support

Once you get it installed note the ID and password.

Then on the other computer install TeamViewer Default Installation and put in the ID and password of the other computer.