Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows start up

- - - - - tech preview

• Please log in to reply

usurper

usurper

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi all.

I recently installed an RTX 2080 super and ever since, when I start my pc my screen doesn't turn on and nor does my mouse or keyboard light up. I have to hold the power button to turn it off then press it again and it boots up just fine. 

Any ideas at all?

Kindest regards

Steve

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   usurper,

Two things come to mind, a, power issue or something being loose.

If the computer is a desktop can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

usurper

usurper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi 

And thank you for replying. 

The power supply is a corsair cx750m and here is my speccy result..

And thanks for helping so far... very much appreciated

Steve

:welcome:   usurper,

Two things come to mind, a, power issue or something being loose.

If the computer is a desktop can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome but can I ask that you do not quote every reply as I have to read the full post to make sure nothing gets missed,, thanks.

Not a good PSU for a high end build, Corsair recommend its use as below;

CX Series Modular power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds and desktop PC computer upgrades, offering high reliability, low noise, and the flexibility of modular cabling.

Whenever there is anything more than an entry level add on GPU involved you should always have a minimum of a Gold efficiency rated PSU from a proven brand such as Corsair, EVGA or Seasonic, what is recommended for your GPU here I reckon 750W would be enough but because you have the additional storage devices the stated 800W wouldn`t go to waste.

Without the additional storage devices you may get away with the present PSU and be ok to do some basic troubleshooting such as making sure that all modular cables are securely connected at both ends, removing and reinserting the RAM and following the steps to change the Windows Power Plan, other than that I can only see removing the RTX 2080 from the MB and using the onboard video until an appropriates PSU is available. 

To your Speccy report;

Power Profile

Active power scheme: High performance

I suggest that you change the Windows Power Plan to Balanced, High Performance is a form of overclocking that is known to cause stability and overheating issues and the setting should only be used for gaming type notebooks that have a discrete GPU that needs the extra power. 

Antivirus
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Malwarebytes
Antivirus: Disabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date

If Malwarebytes is trying to load on boot but failing that could cause issues, it is not working and you do not need it in any event so get rid of it.

Having more than one AV or Firewall installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. 

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Malwarebytes removal info here

Once MBAM has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.