Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Someone listening me!

• Please log in to reply

Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Is this me or happened with others too?

You are discussing about something say for example to buy a new chair with your friend and you have never searched about it on google and facebook for good recommendations, but suddenly after a day you start seeing ads of the chair dealers and brands of chairs.

Is this someone listening me?
Is it my phone listening me?

No matter whoever is listening, but it can lead to serious privacy concerns in future.

This time our voice is being used for ads re-targeting but may be in future something terrible could happened.

Sometimes it is too annoying to see ads of the things that you dont want to see in public.

Is there any way to stop this?  

And what is the future of this technology?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

This was being discussed on radio the other day, some but not all smart devices such as TVs and speakers such as Alexa listen in on conversations and then start offering services that they have heard being discussed Why Amazon Alexa Is Always Listening To Your Conversations: Analysis

Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

FYI: I dont own Alexa, neither any of Smart Devices, yes a Smartphone that is always away from me

and I pick it up when I have certain tasks to perform.

So I think there doesn't exist any term like privacy or security.

Because I most of the time disabled the permissions and restrict the apps using my phone data 

similarly I did it with my android phone assistant, I already turned off my phone's google voice (assistant), so I am pretty sure that It was being heard by my friends phone and they are creating a chain to track me.

So in my perspective we can't hide now from these giants anymore.

Yes, a best method is to get away from these devices is to go back to stone age.

Edit by phillpower2: Unnecessary external link to VPN promotion removed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Smart TVs and Alexa were used as just two examples and anything that has smart technology is capable of eavesdropping on conversations, not too sure how a friends device would influence what pops up on any device that you own though, they would have to be linked in some way.

Just a btw, Google provide perfectly good steps of their own for "how to disable voice assistant" which is what should have been referenced and not a link that was also promoting a certain VPN.