Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 Factory Reset not Restoring All Settings to Default

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

gquiche

gquiche

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I tried to do a factory reset on an Alienware X51 R3 from 2015 that I bought used, and it seemed to do what it was supposed to do at first.

After the factory reset was done I went into settings to change them and noticed that some of the settings were from how they were before the factory reset.

For example, the power setting is supposed to be 10 minutes by default, but when I first got the pc I changed power settings to "never" and they were still set to "never" after the factory reset and not to the factory default.

Other things like privacy settings were custom and not default.

I tried some basic troubleshooting like disk check and scn /scannow and then downloaded a rootkit checker from MB and ran that. I also ran ccleaner as well as downloaded Windows 10 from the cloud for the install instead of local files but the same issue occurs.

What could be causing this and how would you go about fixing it?

im about at a loss atm and would appreciate any help :upset:

Edited by gquiche, 15 July 2020 - 04:33 PM.

Advertisements

imanalien2020

imanalien2020

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Factory reset is not the same as Clean Install. Only clean install will fully restore a fresh install of Windows, so yeah its possible a lot of the settings were not changed etc..