Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New laptop upgrade - seeking advice

• Please log in to reply

netale1205

netale1205

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am sure that everyone will have a different opinion, but I am seeking some general advice for upgrading my laptop. I will begin graduate school in just over a month. This will be used for school and everyday tasks. I am not a gamer, though I do sometimes run some memory/cpu intensive software. My current laptop is roughly 10 years old and I desperately need to upgrade before school starts. I haven't kept up with which manufactures are good and which ones to avoid. My budget is around ~$1000 and am hoping that possibly there may be a student discount offer I could take advantage of. My courses will be 100% online. Below are some features I am looking for in the laptop.

• Need laptop rather than desktop
  • Interested in Windows, and not interested in Apple.
  • I prefer hardware capabilities and don't care how the laptop looks or how thin it is.
  • I like larger screens (15"+, 17") and full keyboards with a numeric keypad.
  • I'd say minimum 8GB RAM, but I'd definitely prefer more if I can afford it.
  • Would prefer SSD to improve speed and I guess 250GB minimum?
  • Not sure which CPU I should be looking for?
  • Would integrated graphics be enough, or do I need to upgrade the graphics card?
  • Battery life is lower priority since I anticipate I'll mostly be working while I can plug in. But prefer larger battery over thinner laptop.
  • Prefer laptop with ports, rather than the thin laptops with less ports

I'd appreciate any advice and recommendations for upgrading to a new laptop. Thanks

Advertisements