Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gettin a new video card

• Please log in to reply

deathscythe257

deathscythe257

• Pip
  • 3 posts
sup all, Im lookin to get a new video card before leavin for college, my budget is like 230-250 $.

my system has AGP video, Im lookin to get a (Radeon 9800XT video card, maybe, but im tryin to find something thatll be a better buy. one of my friends recommended this card: Geforce 6600GT

Normally, i dont have this kinda prob, but i havent looked at comp parts in a while.

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I would go with the 6600GT, great cards. I have never owned an ATI, so I can't comment.

I fear change.

The Almighty God

The Almighty God

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yea i need a new one too. got a laptop so need a ati mobility 9800 or Geforce GO 6800 (by the way i know people who can mod)

deathscythe257

deathscythe257

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanx people, looks like I'm goin with the 6600GT, apparently the edition I listed on this thread is almost one of a kind, so I ganna get it ASAP.

One question bothers me, if i use a DVI to VGA converter, can i connect a CRT monitor to it...

Edited by deathscythe257, 20 June 2005 - 02:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but a 6600GT.Aaaahhh people dont understand how much they suck they are expensive and bad value for money. ATI x800 thats what you want you get more power for the same price.

deathscythe257

deathscythe257

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah but a 6600GT.Aaaahhh people dont understand how much they suck they are expensive and bad value for money. ATI x800 thats what you want you get more power for the same price.

View Post

Dude, notice how i said, i have a AGP slot, no pci-express... and they dont make x800 in AGP, they make the 6600GT in AGP, i dont wanna hafta change my mobo jus for a video card.......

ALSO, new dilemma,

What the... is the diff between these two cards?!
1) Geforce 6600GT 128MB
2) Geforce 6600GT 128MB #2

One costs more, but i dont see ANY difference!

spudZ

spudZ

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I'm assuming that the difference is that the first one (more expensive) is the special version (note the SP at the end), that probably has a faster RAMDAC and maybe faster core clock, but I can't tell because it doesn't indicate the speeds of the two.

-spudZ :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The x800s are made in AGP. There arent made in the same quantity thats why they are a little harder to find.