Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor goes black for no reason [that I can understand]

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Hello,

For several months now, my monitors starts playing off-on-off-on-etc. Time intervals vary from few seconds to a fraction of a second. It happens a few times a day.

I suspect the problem is rooted in the video board, or the mother board or both. Is it possible to run any kind of diagnostics?

The computer is HP with Win 7. More details will be provided on request.

Thank you!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

The first thing to check is that the video cable is securely attached at both ends (sometimes at the monitor it is just a cable coming out and there is no connection).

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thanks.

Here is the setup. I have two machines, an HP and a DELL, and two monitors. One monitor is always connected to DELL, the second switches between DELL (extended desktop) and HP.

Awhile back, I was not able to find a reliable KVM switch and came up with a "poor man's solution". I bought a KM switch, which works flawlessly. The monitor is switched manually, i.e. it is plugged/unplugged between the machines. However, it is not plugged into the machines directly, but via extension DP cables (~3ft), which are attached to the edge of the desk (so I do not have to dive into the corner and look for a port).

The monitor *never* goes black when plugged into the DELL extension cable, so I did suspect the HP extension cable. However, it goes black sometimes when no mechanical vibrations occur, not even typing. That's why I started thinking of the display or MB.

Should I buy a different DP extension cable first?

Thank you!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Can you switch cables between the two machines and see if it changes which one it does blank on?

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

That's why you are a pro. Thank you. This was too simple a test for me to think of. I have to leave town for a few days; will come back, test all, report results.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

After returning home and spending several days to test various configurations, I am happy to share that the problem appears to be solved (for now?).

When connected directly to the computer via a [miniDP-DP] cable, the monitor stopped going black. So, my  conclusion was that the combination of [DP extension] + [miniDP-DP] somehow caused periodic weakening or a loss of signal. I decided to replace the [miniDP-DP] cable with another one, having full size DP connectors on both ends. The combination [DP extension] + [DP-DP] is working since last night. Not a single blackout moment.

Thank you again, Kemasa, for your help!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Good to hear that the problem has been resolved. You are welcome!