Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows 7 in 2020: Update Loop Problem

windows7 windows 7 update loop fail fails updates stuck

• Please log in to reply

Jenna91

Jenna91

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Introduction:

Hello, I am not sure if I am allowed to do this but I wanted to post this information in case it helps someone.

The issue:

Since about a year ago, trying to update a new "Windows 7 Home Premium" operating system causes windows to get stuck in an update loop.

What the issue looks like:

You will know you are at the "update loop" when you see this:

Boot-Loop-1.png

You have a brand new Windows 7 operating system. You try to update. Updates work up to a certain point when all of the updates listed keep failing.

What works for me:
On every computer that I have installed Windows 7 on in the last year the same fix has worked to resolve this for me. It is a simple fix.

Fix-1.png

You need to download the standalone installer for a small update. The update is KB4490628.

Resolution:

Please install this update then restart your Windows 7 computer. Now when you tell the computer to search for available updates, you will see a difference in the windows update utility. Mine looks like this after installing KB4490628:

Boot-Loop-2-After-KB-update-install.png

Concluding:

From here, you will have to go through several more updates. As of 8-20-20, when you get past the "microsoft edge" update for windows 7 (it's easy to notice it), your Windows 7 is just about fully updated. I hope this helps someone.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Jenna91,

Perfectly fine for you to share such information but may I just add that for those who are able to the best way to avoid having the issue in the first place would be to upgrade to Windows 10 for free while they still can.