Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Diagnose slow laptop please

Best Answer RKinner , 17 December 2020 - 09:22 AM

One more fixlist but this one is quick and won't need a reboot.   Just post the fixlog.  No FRST scan needed. Following often speeds up Win 10 PCs: Search for task schedul... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

lumpyc

lumpyc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hi there

First, many thanks in advance for anyone willing to assist me in diagnosing this problem. After reading the forum rules I can see you're all volunteers so I am grateful for any time you would have to assist me.

Context: my elderly mother purchased a new laptop ~6 months ago for word processing. I have used it twice, on separate occasions. Each time it has run very slowly. Last week it booted very slowly (several minutes) and would take up to 30 seconds to load basic programs such as a browser, word processor etc. The slow speed concerns me, and I think something is wrong but I can't figure out what. I am not sure if it is still within warranty so could possibly be returned. She would rather use it, if possible, so I would first like to see what can be done to fix it.

What success looks like: we have figured out (and if possible fixed) what is slowing down this laptop.

What I've done so far: I benchmarked performance here:

https://www.userbenc...serRun/32088104

Note, I am not 100% sure that other processes were not running in the background, such as a program starting up (word, browser) or a virus scan. You can see the benchmark has picked this up in the results. This obviously may hamper performance.

Please be patient with my replies, as I only see her once a week or fortnight (yes, yes, be kind to your mother, I should go more often!), so you may have to wait a little while before I can act on your advice.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Next time you visit install TeamViewer.  That way you can do everything remotely.

https://www.teamview...wnload/windows/

Click on Download TeamViewer.  Save then right click and Run As Admin.  Select the Custom Installation with Unattended Access Support option.  Follow the instructions and note the User ID and Password when done.  Also make sure you know the password for her PC (if any).  When you get home install TeamViewer on your own PC but select the Default Installation. 

Make sure your mother's PC is on and start up TeamViewer and when you put in the ID and Password it should connect.

As far as finding out why it's slow:

Multiple replies are OK.  Best to post a log as you get it.

Get Process Explorer

https://live.sysinte...com/procexp.exe

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Copy the next 2 lines:

TASKLIST /SVC  > \junk.txt
notepad \junk.txt

Open an Elevated Command Prompt:
Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
Win 8: http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html
win 10: http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/

Right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied lines should appear.
Hit Enter if notepad does not open.  Copy and paste the text from notepad into a reply.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...ownload_speccy/ 

(Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving),
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

Latency Monitor:

Go to

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Scroll down to

System Monitoring Tools

and then find

LatencyMon 6.70 (or it may be a higher number if they update)

Click on Download free home edition

Save it then right click and Run As Admin.  It will install and then start the program.  
It will tell you to click on the Start button but there isn't one.  
Instead click on the green arrowhead (looks like a Play button).   Let it run for at least 20 seconds.  Then hit the red box to stop it.

Edit, Copy Report text to Clipboard then move to a REPLY and Ctrl + v to paste the text into a reply.  

Click on the Drivers Tab.  Click on the column header for "Total execution (ms)" once or twice until the biggest numbers are at the top of the column then take a screen shot (save as type jpg) and attach it.  
Click on the Processes tab then click on the  "Hard Pagefaults" column header once or twice until the big numbers are at the top of the column.  Take a screen shot (save as type jpg) and attach it.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

lumpyc

lumpyc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

@RKinner

Thanks for your comprehensive response. Please see log files as instructed.

First benchmark results (Aug 23): https://www.userbenc...serRun/32088104

Second benchmark results (Sep 14, while TeamViewer was running): https://www.userbenc...serRun/32957869

Please note some of your URLs are incomplete, so I couldn't click them. I guessed what URL you wanted so hope the results are right.

@FreeBooter

I haven't tried your suggestions yet but thank you for your response. I'll see how things with RKinner go first, so I know what's wrong first.

I look forward to your responses

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-08-29 LatencyMon driver screenshot.PNG
  • 2020-08-29 LatencyMon processes screenshot.PNG

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I hope it's still under warranty.  It looks like the hard drive (SSD) is bad:

B0
                                            Attribute name    Erase Fail Count (Chip)
                                            Real value    307
                                            Current    100
                                            Worst    100
                                            Threshold    0
                                            Raw Value    0000000133
                                            Status    Good
                                        B5
                                            Attribute name    Program Fail Count (Total)
                                            Real value    683,542
                                            Current    93
                                            Worst    32
                                            Threshold    0
                                            Raw Value    00000A6E16
                                            Status    Good

Above from Speccy log.  I had to look these up as my Samsung SSD does not have them:

Program Fail Count    The number of times when write to a flash memory failed. The write process is technically called "programming the flash memory", hence the attribute name. When the flash memory is worn out, it cannot be written to any longer and becomes read-only. The Raw value shows the actual number of failures.

Erase Fail Count    The number of times when erase operation on a flash memory failed. The complete write cycle of a flash memory consists of two stages. The memory has to be erased first, and then the data has to be recorded ("programmed") onto the memory. When the flash memory is worn out, it cannot be written to any longer and becomes read-only. The Raw value shows the actual number of failures.

Above from: http://www.cropel.co...ibute-list.aspx

Since this is an HP there is a built-in test you can use to verify that the hard drive is failing but you can't run it remotely:

Overnight run the HP UEFI diagnostics > power on the computer and repetitively click F2 > system tests > extensive > loop until error > the next day if it has made 2 or more loops click esc >

Samsung has a program which might help.  SAMSUNG MAGICIAN

https://www.samsung....download/tools/

Under Driver Details, make sure it says you have the latest firmware.  Sometimes new firmware will fix problems.

You can try the Diagnostic test.  They have two the short and the long.  If the short fails then no need to run the long.

PS

I checked all of my links and clicking on them does work for me.  You can't copy the text  because the forum software shortens them.  You have to right click and Copy Link Location.

lumpyc

lumpyc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hi RKinner,

Thanks so much for diving into these for me. It's still under warranty but that lapses in 2 weeks, and I'm away in 1.5 weeks, so I need to move quickly. Retailer is open to investigating the issues for me, but have their own diagnosis process.

I'm yet to run the tests (haven't had physical access yet), but plan to later this week.

Can you please elaborate on the terms in that quote?

Real value    307
                                            Current    100
                                            Worst    100
                                            Threshold    0
                                            Raw Value    0000000133
                                            Status    Good

Some examples: I'm trying to understand why the "Real value" of 307 is greater than the "Worst", why the other figures exceeding the "Threshold" of 0 still mean the "Status" is Good, and why the "Raw Value" differs from the "Real value".

Do you suggest I backup the HDD contents before running the test(s)?

You're right about the URLs. I couldn't replicate the error I had, and suspect it may have been the browser I was using.

Cheers

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Current & Worst are static upper boundaries.  They never change.

If the Threshold is set to 0 SMART will never report any Status but Good.

Raw Value is in Hex.  Real Value is in Decimal.  The conversion from Raw to Real is usually just a simple conversion (Google: 133 hex to decimal) tho sometimes it's a bit more complex (Ex: Some Seagate drives will compute Real Values by subtracting from a given number)

Here is an example of an important Attribute from a good mechanical drive

Attribute name    Reallocated Sectors Count
                                            Real value    0
                                            Current    100
                                            Worst    100
                                            Threshold    36
                                            Raw Value    0000000000
                                            Status    Good

If the Reallocated Sector Count goes above the Threshold of 36 (Don't know if it is Decimal or Hex) then the Status will change to something other than Good (unless Threshold is set to 0)

The test is not supposed to hurt your data but if the hard drive is failing you shouldn't count on it so back up any data you don't want to lose.

lumpyc

lumpyc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thanks for explaining that. I now understand those values.

In Samsung Magician I couldn't find a Driver Details, but under Drive Details it reported Firmware as MVT24H3Q. I couldn't see anywhere that said this was the latest firmware, or a button to update the firmware.

Also on that page was the S.M.A.R.T. info, which appears to replicate your earlier findings, except for a higher Program Fail Count (total) (see attached).

Unfortunately Diagnostic Test is not supported for this HDD. For other people's reference, the scan options are attached.

I have just started the HP UEFI diagnostic test, looping until error. Will report back asap.

Attached Thumbnails

• SMART(SATA)_20200929.PNG
  • Samsung scan options.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Make sure when you start Magician that you Right Click and Run As Admin.

sam1.jpg

You can see where it says Latest Version

sam2.jpg

This is the test page.

sam3.jpg

Try running a Benchmark as above.

We can run a third party check but I was hoping Magician's diagnostic would work and fail.

HD Tune

https://www.lifewire...-review-2624561

Actual download is at:

http://www.hdtune.co.../hdtune_255.exe

Download, Save, right click and Run As Admin.  Run the Benchmark test and report your min, max & average transfer times.  Ideally the graph would be flat or slightly tilted to the right.  On a bad drive you will see sharp drops.  The fewer programs running at the same time the better.  Pause your anti-virus.

hdtune.jpg

lumpyc

lumpyc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

HP extensive scan results attached.

Samsung magician results attached, this time run as admin.

Drive still doesn't support diagnostic scan.

Drive doesn't show "latest version" for firmware.

HD Tune results attached. Round 1 was with Teamviewer running, Round 2 did not have Teamviewer running.

Looks like I have a lot more 'drops' than the example graph you showed.

Attached Thumbnails

• magician - drive details.PNG
  • magician - diagnostic scan.PNG
  • magician - performance benchmark.PNG
  • extensive scan results.jpg
  • hd tune results round 1.PNG
  • hd tune results round 2.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I think it's failing the HP Extensive test.  They say it should take 2 hours or more but almost 2 days seems ridiculous.  I'd send it back before the warranty expires.

Advertisements

lumpyc

lumpyc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I left it running for almost 2 days, and it iterated 27 times. The current progress bar at 3% shows an estimated completion time of 1h 44m.

I think the maths on the 27 iterations checks out: (24 + 20) / 27 = 1h 37m per iteration.

What do you make of the HD Tune results?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK.  My mistake.

Neither is bad enough to be a real problem.  Something is running in the background tho that is using 30% of the CPU. 

You said it was slow booting so let's look at the boot log:

Search for

msconfig

hit Enter

Click the box in front of boot log then OK and reboot.

The log is stored at C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt

It might be hard for you to get to since Windows likes to hide files but:

http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

You can copy and paste or attach it.

Let's check the system files and see if that helps.

Download the attached fixlist.txt to the same location as FRST

Attached File  fixlist.txt   828bytes   253 downloads

Run FRST and press Fix
A fix log will be generated please post that

Reboot if the fix doesn't reboot it for you

Run FRST again but this time make sure Addition.txt is checked and hit Scan.  Post both logs.

Let's get a benchmark:

https://www.userbenchmark.com

Click on Free Download.  Save the file then right click and Run As Admin.  Close all programs and pause your antivirus before starting.

When it finishes it will open a browser.  Copy the URL and paste it into a Reply.

lumpyc

lumpyc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No worries about the UEFI scan. I'm happy to change tack to look at startup issues, but could we close the loop on your initial diagnosis of a bad HDD? 
From my understanding of the information you sent through, the HDD is failing to write. But if it's detecting this, does it just try again? Or does it mean that software thinks it's written to the HDD when it actually hasn't?

For what it's worth, it looks like 11% of the Program Fail Counts occurred between our last scans (768,019 - 683,542 = 84,477, or 11% of the total to date), between 29 Aug and 29 Sept. This tells me it's an ongoing phenomena.

I'm digging at a need to understand whether this represents a material failure of the HDD or if it is one of those "windows errors" that actually happen all the time and aren't an issue. (e.g. the classic "event log" case).
To help me better understand your reasoning -- When making this assessment (on HDD failure or not), what factors do you consider, that most people (such as myself) wouldn't take into account?
If you were in my shoes, what variables would you take into account when deciding if I'd make a warranty claim? ACL is quite good.

ntblog attached.

I assumed you meant FRST, available from here:

If so the "fix" results are attached, ran as admin (Fixlog.txt).
The "scan" results are attached, ran as admin (FRST.txt and Addition.txt).
Settings for both results are in the attached image.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33693898 

These results are significantly better than the first benchmark (https://www.userbenc...serRun/32088104), which is unsurprising as it was marred by high background CPU.

However the poor RAM performance has remained: 1st percentile of similar components. I will try the suggestion in the userbenchmark link, to enable XMP/DOCP, and if successful re-benchmark.

I must admit, having spent more time on the laptop while running this latest set of tests: it is slow, but it is not painfully slow. Startup time seems to be below average, but it is not grinding like it was for minutes when I first reported this issue. I think turning off Avast Secure Browser from starting during start up may have helped that. Also, yes, booting up apps is slow, but not crushingly slow.

Attached Thumbnails

• FRST settings.PNG

Attached Files

Edited by lumpyc, 02 October 2020 - 10:35 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for throwing FRST at you.  I'm so used to working in the malware forum where we always start with FRST that I forgot we didn't start there.

Since the benchmark does not have a problem with the SSD I'm going to assume that the SSD is OK.  It doesn't like the memory.  I doubt that HP's BIOS offers XMP but it wouldn't hurt to check.  Last time I saw this the problem was caused by a poorly inserted memory stick.  Reseating the memory stick cleared up the problem. 

There are a few drivers not loaded but nothing really bad in the boot log so that's not the source of the slowdown.  HP's are slow booters.  I have one and it spends a lot of time in the BIOS before it even tries to load Windows.  Go back into msconfig and uncheck Boot Log.  OK. No need to reboot.

I see one possible source of slowness in your FRST logs.  You have two anti-viruses or at least you have Avast and the remnants of McAfee.  McAfee is a poorly written program that never uninstalls correctly.  In order to remove all traces of it you need to run the McAfee Removal Tool

Download it at:

http://us.mcafee.com...s/mcpr/mcpr.asp

(this is a direct download so the page won't change)

Save File, then right click and Run As Admin.

May need to reboot when done.

Avast is also known to slow down the boot a tad and a few of its drivers do not look happy.  You might try uninstalling it.  Windows Defender should take over until you reinstall it.

You are getting some errors caused by Skype.  You might try uninstalling it.  It's easy to get a new copy if it's something you need.

https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/

Go in to Chrome and click on the three dots then on Settings.  Click on Advanced then under System turn off

Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed

Then do the same for Edge.

Reboot and give me a new FRST scan.

lumpyc

lumpyc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Thanks for your comments about the HDD, good to know.

RAM: HP BIOS did not offer XMP. Will try re-seating when I am next over there.

I followed the remainder of your instructions, logs attached. Thanks for your help so far, it's been very helpful.

Attached Files