Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp Laptop - Slower than a Week in the Jail!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

I have a hp laptop running Windows 10 Home, Version 1909 . It is about 2 years old. Since new it has always run very slow, taking an age to complete commands. What can be the problem?

Grateful for any assistance.

Edited by FXRStuarty, 27 August 2020 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Type in perfmon /report in the Windows Search box and hit enter.  The Performance Manager will automatically run a report and diagnose issues that are impacting your PC. Luckily for you, it will also recommend solutions for each problem found.

Thanks for your guidance.

I ran the perform /report and this is what I got: (there is another line blow Disk called Report Stats

Not quite sure what this is telling me. Grateful for your further guidance.

Attached Thumbnails

• perfmon  report.jpg

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

You have high CPU usage check the Task Manager.

Thank you for your response.

What exactly am I looking for and once a culprit is identified (how?) what action should be taken?

Thanks for your continuing assistance.

FXRStuarty

FXRStuarty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Open the Task Manager and click the Processes tab. This will display all of the processes currently running on your computer.

Click the "CPU" column. This will sort the processes based on their current CPU usage.

Find the processes that are accounting for the majority of your CPU usage. Usually there will be only one that is nearly maxed out at 99-100%, though you may have a couple of different programs taking up 50% each.

Post a screenshot of the Task Manager.

Thanks.

I ran the Task Man and also a perfmon/report again, Both screen shots are attached.

This morning, my laptop took up to 6 minutes to get to the Desktop screen. So slow.....

Task Man Screen Print Sep 05 2020.jpg

perfmon  report Sep 05 2020.jpg

Thanks for your help.