Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Blank Canvas (RESOLVED)

Best Answer iammykyl , 27 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Good decision. Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Hello, i havent been on the PC too often since i posted last but i have checked periodically & it's running ok, no black screen, icons moving or doing anything weird

I've just sat down to look at a couple of activity tracker watches so i'll be here a while

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry i forgot to say, i'm happy with the pics where they are for the minute, i'll need to work out how to store them in the new photo app.

Would you like to progress further?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, good to go.   I will need you to give me a refresh of your computer status.

1.  start the computer.

2.  Plug in the USB caddy.

3.  Open Disk Management, > go full screen, > take a screenshot and upload in your next reply..

4.  Unplug the USB caddy.

You may have already created a Macrium Reflect rescue USB in the past, but, I need you to create a new one running from you new OS drive.

You can use, overwrite the old USB stick.

Please make sure the USB caddy is not connected.

Create a restore point > start MR > create rescue media accepting the defaults. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Hello, apologies - this may be a little long winded!

Instead of creating a restore point i actually restored the PC but only to a point 2 days ago when an up date ran

I carried out the same instruction as in post #174 & #176 - screenshots below (some files fixed)

I then took the screenshot from Disk Management as asked in post #183

Then i successfully created a restore point

I have not used Macrium reflect recently so i accepted the defaults as instructed. Opened app > selected top left '''CREATE BOOTABLE RESCUE MEDIA''' >  the default was at 'WINDOWS BOOT MEDIA' so i selected 'BUILD' & finished that operation.

Then i selected ''REMOVABLE FLASH DRIVE'' & let that complete-------- I hope i havent goofed up doing this

Powershell scan 1.jpg Powershell 2.jpg

Disk Management.jpg

MR1 SS.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 15 January 2021 - 01:51 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks, looking good.

Time to create a recovery image using ME.

1.  Start the computer > plug in the USB caddy. > create a restore point.

2.  Run ME from the desktop.

3.  In the left side, > click on Create an image of the partition/s required to backup and restore windows.  (a windows will open with the correct partitions ticked.

4.  Select the Destination, (the caddy)  > click next, leave default setting > click next > click finish at the bottom, > click OK and wait for the backup to be created. 

Close ME.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Hello again.

So i was going to get at this after tea time today & i've just sat down to the PC - i had a black screen & the icons were all looking ok, i needed to do ctrl/Alt - Delete to restart the PC

Blk Screen.jpg

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry about this goof up, obviously something i done - if i had any wit about these things at all i should be able to sort it.

When i start/reboot my PC my windows backgrond is as above now, a Black screen

I have not carried out your iinstruction in post #185 yet incase this black screen is an issue

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

We will try to find out what is causing this problem.

For the moment, delay creating a drive image.

Please read this article, > https://techviral.ne...y-monitor-tool/

1.  Click start > click run > copy and paste perfmon /rel . click OK > Take a screen shot.

2.  On the day you had the black screen and icons, . click the red X, the error will be displayed below

3.  Double click the error, > take a screen shot.

4.  at the bottom of the page, > click on view all problem reports > take a screen shot. 

Please upload the 3 screen shots.  

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Thhank you

The triangle with the exclaimation mark is a failed windows update

Reliability monitor 1.jpg

Reliability monitor 2.jpg

Reliability monitor 3.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

There is an ongoing issue with C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software.   Heaps of people having problems, no solution found so far. 

Have you installed a LED strip and using the software to control LED lighting? 

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok, we'll soldier on then & if we're finished before there's a solution i'tt create a restore point before & after the fix.

No additional lighting has been added by me, the only LED items are lights at the front of the case & the fan, these both came in the case on purchase, then there's the 2 sticks of RAM with RGB lighting, i needed to download software to control those

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If the ICUE has an update option, try itl

Please download and install Revo, free version, It has a stirrup manager, which I use. https://www.revounin...-free-download/

The default opening page shows programs installed.

Please take a screenshot,   scroll up and take a second shot if all not shown on the first one. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Completed.

Just incase this is influencing anything on startup i'm getting this blue screen, should this be happening?

IMG_1462.jpg

Revo.jpg

Revo2.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The blue screen is the Windows Boot Manager, if windows fails to boot, the pc will boot to recovery, you also have the option to enter the recovery partition.   At next Boot, click below on the change Defaults, to see other options.

Did ICUE update?   Are you still getting that black screen?

Star Revo, > go Full screen,

At the top > click the Tools tab,

on the left > click the Traffic Lights, this will show everything that starts with Windows.  > take a screen shot.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Yes, ICue has been updated but still the black screen. There's also a noise like im connecting & disconnecting a USB device when the screen goes into sleep mode

Revo 3.jpg

Revo 4.jpg

Revo 5.jpg