Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Blank Canvas (RESOLVED)

Best Answer iammykyl , 27 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Good decision. Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, so I think Ive settled on a case, but there are 2 versions, one with an X in the model number.

The only difference I see is one has MSI ARGB Hub with Remote

Do I need this since the MB can control RGB?

MSI MAG VAMPIRIC 010X Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case 'Black, 1x 120mm ARGB Fan, Mystic Light Sync, MSI ARGB Hub with Remote, Tempered Glass Panel, ATX, mATX, mini-ITX' - 306-7G08X11-809 https://www.amazon.c...i_wSoCFbW9X8Z4M

MSI MAG VAMPIRIC 010 Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case 'Black, 1x 120mm Argb Fan, Mystic Light Sync, Tempered Glass Panel, ATX, mATX, Mini-ITX' https://www.amazon.c...i_OToCFb7FH4DSE

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The 010X gives you physical control of of the RGB LEDS after setting up Mystic LEDS in the software, otherwise you need to enter the software to turn on/off connected components.

Up to you if you think the extra £10 is worth it.  Manual, > https://www.msi.com/...G-VAMPIRIC-010X

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Just ordered the manual control one, Id rather not use it by choice than want to & not have the option for the sake of £10

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
✓  Best Answer

Good decision. 

Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Well you'll be glad to know i'm posting from my new build - thank you for all your help

This may not be your area of expertiese but it won't activate my copy of windows woth the key i got from the old Dell PC.

One thing i did notice was there's a click through to an option saying 'I have changed hardware on this device recently' - i had to log into my Microsoft account (didn't even know i had made one) & there was an old Lynx7 tablet i must have registered on it. It said my device woulkd need to be added to my account to see it listed - does that mean i've to refit my hard drives to the old Dell, register my PC with my account, swap the drives to my new PC & enter the key again?

Attached Thumbnails

• W10 Activation.jpg
  • W10 Activation2.jpg
  • W10 Activation3.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Congratulations on completing the build, and so quick as well.

I have asked a member from our own tech help desk to come in and walk you through activation, as this is something I have not done myself.   Let me know if you wait for more than 3 days.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I will indeed, thank you.

I kind of surprised myself TBH & so far it looks like everything even works! Lol

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Passing on info.

Did you install the same W10 ver as the Dell PC,  Home/Home and Pro/Pro, etc"

When activating, did you enter the Key from the Dell, the one Key finder displayed?

Try activation again using that key.  

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yes I just swapped both of my drives over to the new machine & changed the boot setting in BIOS to boot from my SSD

If it helps when I looked my machine name up it was the same as the Dell but was still being described as an Inspiron 3650

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Use the winkey tool again, Result"

my machine name up it was the same as the Dell but was still being described as an Inspiron 3650

was there an option to change the key?

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
U mean use that programme to find the key on the new PC?

There was an option to change the key, if you look at the 1st attached screenshot above you can see it

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 October 2020 - 12:39 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, use the key finder on the new build.

Please look at post #25, is that the key you used to activate the new build?

We may try changing the key, but not yet. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok, i have used the keyfinder on the new build - it's the same key/code

The new PC did not ask me to activate it, it just booted up when i selected the correct boot drive in the BIOS on the 1st startup, it boots up every time but i have some txt on the lower RHS of my screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• W10 Activation4.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK.

I suggest you try again, clicking that text, then follow the prompts for, I have recently changed hardware.

If that does not work, try Rename this computer.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok, when i click the txt it does nothing, just a 'watermarked' screen with that txt on it.

To get to the 'i have changed hardware' i need to click the start menu > Settings > Update & Security > Activation

When i 'change product key' i have to go through the steps on post #35, that's where i get a dead end - it asks me to log in to my microsoft account which i must have set up from that tablet, because my old desktop PC is not listed i have no option but to exit out of it

I assume if i select the tablet it will expect the W10 license number from it?

Attached Thumbnails

• W10Activation5.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 October 2020 - 05:27 PM.