Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Blank Canvas (RESOLVED)

Best Answer iammykyl , 27 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Good decision. Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Making a seperate post as something weird has happened

The 'Activate windows' txt has now gone - i have done nothing to make this happen, i'll assume this is good news? - under settings it still says it's not activated

However, something strange is happening. When I try to highlight txt to copy & paste most of the time my mouse arrow flickers, drops the 1st part of the txt & starts to copy the remainder - it is the same with snipping tool. Also, sometimes when clicking the windows symbol bottom LHS of the screen the app/menu screen would not open so i had to shut down via ctrl/Alt/Delete.

^^^^ Would this all be due to a faulty mouse?^^^^

Earlier when my PC was running & my monitor turned blank through lack of use the machine was making a noise through the speakers very regularly, i recognise the noise but can't for the life of me think where it's from, it's like a window or something closing down then starting up again :huh: **EDIT** I remember the noise now, it's when i press the power down/power up button on my monitor

Attached Thumbnails

• W10Activation6.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 02 October 2020 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I would keep running the PC and hope you don't get a nag pop up about activation.

It could be a faulty mouse, or a port issue, try in another port.

if not fixed, go to device manager, uninstall the mouse drivers then click on 'scan for hardware changes'

Have you installed all the drivers from the MB disk?

Have you run Windows Update?

Noise.

Have you left a disk in the optical drive or a USB stick plugged in.

In the RUN box copy and paste dxdiag.exe

When the window opens, take a screenshot, > at the bottom, click next page, take a screenshot.

Go next page, should be sound, look in the bottom window, is a problem found?

Go next page, if sound again, look in the bottom window.   

Go last page, Input.   highlight each device attached and look in the bottom window, any problem devices?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:rolleyes: Just twigged, no mouse after uninstalling drivers, > restart the PC using the case button. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry for the late reply, apologies. - the windows activation watermark txt has came back from it's holidays too, it wasn't away long!

No USB stick plugged in & i have no optical drive to put a disc into.

I have tried another port as suggested & even another mouse but it's still the same - i'll uninstall the drivers & restart after this post - I have attached a screenshot of the box that appears whenm i try to hold the mouse button to 'copy & paste'

I ran windows update & it did download some, however, i did not install the drivers from the MB disc as i don't have an optical drive - i assumed the PC would download them on initial startup

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

Annoying Box.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Only just noticed this edit

**EDIT** I remember the noise now, it's when i press the power down/power up button on my monitor

Does that mean the noise is no longer a problem?

I need a little clarification.

When you swapped the drives into your new build,

Did you backup just your Data? if yes, to where?

Did you use the windows creator tool? and perform a clean install?

Did you enter the license key from the Dell, during the install?

i did not install the drivers from the MB disc as i don't have an optical drive - i assumed the PC would download them on initial startup

Afraid not.   You may be running on generic Intel drivers and I don't think the correct Chipset drivers are installed, fixed by using the MB disk, N.A, or downloading/running Live Update

Please don't run it until you have answered the above questions, and I have replied.

https://www.msi.com/...update-5-manual

Any results on the Mouse yet?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Well if you havent realised already by the end of this post you'll see how limited my knowlwdge is of PC's & software in particular. :lol:

Mouse is still the same, I went into device manager & it said the drivers were ok, uninstalled it, reset the PC & it must have reinstalled the driver - still the same faults though.

Monitor on/off noise still happening even though i'm doing nothing

Now here's the important bit.

No i didn't back anything up, when i say i swapped the drives over to the new build, switched on the PC & changed the boot order in the BIOS & it then fired up i mean that's what i done, more or less to the letter.

NO Backup

NO Clean install

NO asking for a license key during install

I'm starting to feel amazed i've got this far now TBH :rofl:

My 480GB SSD is Partitioned with W10 on 1 part, storage on the other part, i may in future add another SSD & use one specifically for Windows

My internet speed is terrible where i live, i get about 4.5mb/s so i've been trying to avoid downloading too much, especially a full W10 download. When i bought the SSD to use i used a programme to clone the HDD so i have a fresh copy of W10 on it if it helps?, i've attached a pic but obviously it'll never have been updated.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse here but i have a laptop which i rarely use that's running W10 Pro, can i swap the 2 product keys so the desktop is running Pro & the Laptop runs W10 Home?

Partitions.jpg 1TB HDD.jpg

Should i go HERE to download some files? If so do i need them all - or am i better to buy an external optical drive?

Edited by gpl98a1, 04 October 2020 - 08:03 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry for such a long delay in answering.

By swapping the drives into the New PC, you are running the W10 updated Dell operating system.   I think that even if you use the MSI Live Tool to install the correct Drivers and software, the new computer will always be unstable + you have all those unnecessary dell partitions.

Swapping the product keys will not work.

Do not install any software from MSI at the moment.

You should backup your data first, Do you have any special folder not included in your default folder, like a holiday trip or a wedding?

recommend using a USB stick, > https://www.dummies....-in-windows-10/

after the backup is complete, use file explorer to explore the backup to make sure everything is OK.

Let me know when done, then we can look at installing a fresh copy of windows.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

No problem on the time, it's your time i'm using up anyway so no rush whatsoever

I'll get onto this when I get home - will I need to order an external Optical Drive for the driver CD that came with the MB as we progress?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:spoton:

No, you won't need a optical drive, you can download the live update tool from MSI and it will automaticle instal the drivers for your computer.

You will need a 4GB USB stick for creating the OS and one big enough to take your Data backup.

Note. Some precautions to take.

After you have backed up.

Disconnect the power cable from the spinner hard drive, so that windows installer does not attempt to put part of the OS there.

Install the new OS to the SSD.   Later you can use the spinner as your storage drive.

When you set up Windows, use the same profile user name as you are using now.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, looks like I may have to order a storage device big enough to do the backup, I think the only device I have might be a 32gb memory stick.

Is there any way ok knowing what size Ill need?

Where do I get the new OS from? Download it?

Edited by gpl98a1, 05 October 2020 - 03:16 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You may need a storage device as, far as I can see, file hisory backup won't allow using an internal drive in computer.

Can you search for something like My Passport?

I think that will be cheaper than a large USB stick

At the moment I can't find out aprox size of a backup.

Yeas, dowload W10. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you, Ill check the drive for whats being used & get a storage device of at least that size, itll do for the future & backing up.

Therell be a delay in my response due to waiting on the drive to ship so Ill be back in a couple of days.

Im sure youll be glad to get a break. Thank you again

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Just updating

I've just ordered THIS to replace my current main SSD, i'll put my new windows install onto it

My current SSD will then go into THIS as a backup drive

My brother is lending me an old 500GB external HDD to do the backup to complete the process

Am I going the right way about this?

Edited by gpl98a1, 06 October 2020 - 07:45 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Am I going the right way about this?

Yes, perfect.

For downloading windows with the creator tool, have you got a USB stick of 8GB or more?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yes I have, if Im downloading 8gb Id either need to start now or do it in work, at home thatd take me days! Lol

Is it possible when doing this I use my laptop key for W10 Pro on my desktop & use my W10 home desktop key on my laptop?

Edited by gpl98a1, 06 October 2020 - 05:31 PM.