Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Blank Canvas (RESOLVED)

Best Answer iammykyl , 27 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Good decision. Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok Im in the install with only the M2 drive detected.

I did not re format my drive  :confused: 

I also did not see an option to name my account, just to sign into my Microsoft account...…………. the good news is that on restart this new PC is the same name as the old one  :thumbsup:

**EDIT** I have ran live update but not installed anything

Live update 6.jpg

My new desktop has some stuff from my last install on it as I did not reformat, windows made me aware of this & that the file would be called 'windows old' I have not tried to find this file but I would like to delete it to start clean

New Desktop.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 12 October 2020 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Looks like you did an inplace install, no big deal.   The windows old is there so you can revert back if you decide you don't like the new version and/or you can retrieve files to your new system. 

1.   Your first step is to tick all the boxes on live update, > Download and follow the prompts.

2.   Configure windows update.

3.   Install Macrium Reflect and configure.

Windows Old Folder, > https://www.hellotec...dows-old-folder

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Just reinstalled - may as well do something right at the start for once  :D

MSI files downloaded & installed, I did not install Norton or Chrome as their scanner suggested

Can't see how to config Windows Update but just changed the active hours

I'm just about to do Macrium Reflect, i'll report back **EDIT** Now installed

Edited by gpl98a1, 12 October 2020 - 04:46 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK sounds good so far.

OK for windows update.

Good about virus software, I stick to windows defender, it is pretty good now and not a resource hog like the rest, and free.

After Reflect.

Install your browser of choice.

Out for the rest of today, back in about 5 hours.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

No problem, you deserve it after having to deal with my Neanderthal knowledge of PC's

I'll mess about here & make sure everything is ok - I will not fit any drives etc in again until I get the ok.

Have a good day Sir 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Glad it is going OK.   Reconnecting the 1TB drive is the last thing we will do and I will give a walk through before you start. 

If you have any software you want to install, Create a System Restore Point and go ahead.

Keep using the PC, and let us know when windows has completed the updates.

Then, if everything is to your liking, you can use Reflect to create an image of the C:/ drive. 

Have you got the activation Nag?

Keep your OS installation USB stick in a safe place as, When you boot from it, as well as install windows, gives you advanced options to repair and troubleshoot the system. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I've nothing in particular to install, but i will download necessary software over time, like Flash player etc

Windows currently downloading more updates

Yes, i have the activation watermark again, looking dodgy whether i can get rid of it as W10 isn't accepting my Key

W10 Activ.jpg

When reconnecting my 1TB drive there are a few files i need to back up before i reformat it

****EDIT**** Reatarted & the activation watermark is now gone again, i'm sure it'll be back.

Do i heed to deactivate my old windows copy on the SATA SSD? That is still possible as that drive is in a case & will be getting used as the auto backup drive

Edited by gpl98a1, 13 October 2020 - 05:03 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just ignore the Activation for the momen

When reconnecting my 1TB drive there are a few files i need to back up before i reformat it

Yes,

Do i heed to deactivate my old windows copy on the SATA SSD? That is still possible as that drive is in a case & will be getting used as the auto backup drive

You can't deactivate windows, you would have to format the drive to get rid of OS.   

Where did you save your Data before installing the OS?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Hello again, sorry for my slow responses, i've genuinely alot on at the minute at work & home due to this flimmin virus! I may not get doing much until this weekent but i don't want to leave you hanging as i think that'd be rude.

I didn't back up the Data on my old OS drive (i hear you sigh) - my thought behind that was because it's still accessable, i just removed it & it's going into an external case which i'll use for the windows auto backup you told me about WAYYYY earlier on in this thread.

If i REALLY need to access it i can plug it back into my case & boot it up - but somehow i don't think that's a good idea........... TBH my 1TB spinner drive is pretty much a backup of this one anyway.

So, if you agree, my next step is sort out what i need to save from my old OS drive & my 1TB spinner drive, then reformat them both to clear both drives?, fit my spinner drive to the case, fit my old OS drive to it's external case & then set up auto backup?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Don't worry about response time, the pace is up to you;   I am retired, so this is a pastime hobby for me.

Only Boot the computer from the internal M.2 SSD, and make sure, CRITICAL.

The old SSD and/or the 1TB drive are not connected at Boot, otherwise windows will see 2 OSs and get stuffed up again.

We will copy the user Data from the 1TB drive first, let me know when convenient. 

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Hello again, thank you for your patience & help. I have some time now which i can spare to backing up my drives, i will not do anything as instructed.

To refresh - i have an M2 drive running my OS

I have an old 1TB drive with a copy of windows installed but never used, it wan only incase my SSD drive failed & i needed a copy

I also have a 480GB SSD which was my old OS drive - i have an external case for it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday, good to see you back.

Working on the qTB drive first, image from an earlyer post, 

post-430842-0-60412500-1602448030_thumb.

1.  You will be copying the pictures folder to a newly created picture folder on your C drive first then,

1.  expand the User folder, > your name, > copy the folders you want to the User > your name, > matching folders on the C drive.

Please watch 2 videos and post back, then I will give exact steps to take.   In both case they are copying from a USB drive, you will be copying from an internal drive, the method is identical. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Thank you, both watched & a process i have carried out before - when i get to that point i'm ok, i'm just hesitant about the process of connecting the drive(s) back up - 1 at a time i know  :thumbsup:

Oh & when i'm in let me know if i should delete that windows folder please?

Edited by gpl98a1, 22 October 2020 - 03:56 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

We will take it slow.

In case there is any problems, and not to mess up your existing C drive user folders, the destinations folders will be,

For the pictures folder, (please create now) right click an empty spot on the Desktop, > select New Folder, > name it Dell Pictures > click enter.

post back when done.  

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

'Dell Pictures' File created