Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Blank Canvas (RESOLVED)

Best Answer iammykyl , 27 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Good decision. Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK.   You will not delete the 1TB drive until all copying is done and you have checked the operation has been successful.

With the computer running, take anti static measures and connect the power cable to the 1TB drive.

1.  Open file explorer > click the 1TB drive > right click the Pictures folder > select Copy, 

2.  In the left window  > click Desktop > in the right window . right click the Dell Pictures > select Paste.  (wait for a couple of minutes while files are copied.)

Next steps.

Each time when selecting a folder from the 1TB drive -at user, your name, hover the mouse arrow over a folder to see  if it has contents, if empty skip that folder.

1.  At the top left of file explorer window > click the back arrow. 

2.  In the right window > click Users > click your name > right click Documents > select copy.

3.  In the left window > click This PC > click Local Disk C:/ > click the little arrow to the left at user to expand > click the little arrow at Public to expand > right click Documents > select Paste.

Now perform #2 for each folder you want to copy, remember to hover the mouse to see if it has contents.

Next step.

When you finished copying.

Close all open windows, > shut down the computer > turn off the PSU > take anti static measures > disconnect the power cable to the 1TB drive. > Power up again and browse the folders to confirm the files have been copied over to the C drive. if everything OK, next step, format the !TB drive.

You may want to start when you are fresh, could take an hour to do. 

Next step.

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Thank you, i'm starting to get back to this now

I have connected the spinner drive up & it isn't showing in the file explorer application, the SATA cable is connected up ok - i will try again ( i can hear it spinning ok)

**EDIT**  still not showing

ss1.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 23 October 2020 - 01:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Does the drive show in Disk Management?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Hmmmm strangely enough no it doesn't...............& all i did was disconnect the power as per your instructions previously

I've tried 2 SATA connections on it & it sounds fine (no strange noises)

I'm sure you've gathered if something goofs up it will 100% goof up with me!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Go to Device Manager > right click on Disk Drives > click Scan for hardware changes 

Are you then able to expand Disk drives and see the spinner?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

No, it won't show, i'm gettinga little worried now :unsure: - i substituted the SSD for the spinner drive & it doesn't show either

SS2.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 23 October 2020 - 06:31 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Take the old SSD out of the computer and put into the USB caddy.

Restart the computer and plug in the USB caddy.

Does that get detected?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Good morning, i thought i could respond before going to my job today

Yes, i can see the SSD drive when plugged into the Caddy, i didn't even need to restart, the PC recognised it straight away

ss3.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 24 October 2020 - 01:11 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good.

Click to open the D drive. > click to open the 'saved pictures' folder

Can you see the pictures you want to save?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I do not seem to have a 'saved pictures' folder on my D Drive - there are 'windows' & 'windows.old' files which are massive

ss4.jpg

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, I can see it is not an identical structure as the 1TB drive.

Expand Windows Old first and see if the saved pictures folder is there, then do the same for Windows.   Also look in Users > your name. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok i have went into 'windows.old' & opened up the username, there are 2 files, 1 named Public & the other one my name - the onw with my name has 0 bytes, the public one is a very small file size.

There is another 'windows' folder amongst the 'windows.old' folder, it is a big file size but i do not see any other file in it with the name 'users'

ss6.jpg ss5.jpg ss7.jpg ss8.jpg

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry for the double post

I have went through all the files listed on the last 2 screenshots to fine the properties of each, apart from 3 or 4 files of 1 GB these are the files that hold the most content

Software Distrubution > Download

ss10.jpg

ss11.jpg

ss12.jpg

Then another file called 'system32' & another 'WinSxS' - both these lines are highlighted in grey

ss13.jpg

ss14.jpg

Edited by gpl98a1, 25 October 2020 - 06:35 PM.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Just a thought, & maybe a bad one.

Should i power down, pull the M2 drive & hook my other drives up, access the old OS & create a more obvious file that i can access easily?

Edited by gpl98a1, 26 October 2020 - 06:59 PM.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Bit of an update - sorry for the multiple posts

So i restarted my PC tonight & forgot the spinner drive was still wired in, the PC recognised it this time so i took a quick look through it & disconnected power & SATA.

Next i plugged in the SSD drive to USB still inside the caddy. it recognised it this time, i accessed the saved pics & transfered them to the M2 (new OS) drive.

I've no idea why it decided to recognise the USB caddy drive this time, im confused as heck about that