Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Build - Blank Canvas (RESOLVED)

Best Answer iammykyl , 27 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

Good decision. Updated list, some changes, always look before ordering. > https://uk.pcpartpic...com/list/KLFT4n Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry to have left you hanging.   On Sunday avo a lightning strike next to the house took out my internet.   Tech came today; I was very lucky as there was no damage to the underground fibre optic cable, I only needed a replacement NBN box and pleasantly surprised it was free.   I had nada, even resurrected an old tv so I had some entertainment.

All the files you posted are N/A for us, all to do with windows install.

You made good progress.   Possible the SSD/caddy was recognised because the BIOS registered it at Boot.

So I take it the files you wanted to save are now on the new internal SSD and accessible?

Are you OK doing some exploring/work in the BIOS/UEFI?

Advertisements

Tycon_Paris

Tycon_Paris

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Bit of an update - sorry for the multiple posts

So i restarted my PC tonight & forgot the spinner drive was still wired in, the PC recognised it this time so i took a quick look through it & disconnected power & SATA.

Next i plugged in the SSD drive to USB still inside the caddy. it recognised it this time, i accessed the saved pics & transfered them to the M2 (new OS) drive.

I've no idea why it decided to recognise the USB caddy drive this time, im confused as heck about that

That could be a problem with power.
Can You check PSU power usage with connected and disconnected SSD?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Sorry to have left you hanging.   On Sunday avo a lightning strike next to the house took out my internet.   Tech came today; I was very lucky as there was no damage to the underground fibre optic cable, I only needed a replacement NBN box and pleasantly surprised it was free.   I had nada, even resurrected an old tv so I had some entertainment.

All the files you posted are N/A for us, all to do with windows install.

You made good progress.   Possible the SSD/caddy was recognised because the BIOS registered it at Boot.

So I take it the files you wanted to save are now on the new internal SSD and accessible?

Are you OK doing some exploring/work in the BIOS/UEFI?

Absolutely no apology needed!! Glad you got sorted, sounds like it was a rough storm!

The SSD Caddy was recognised after Boot, i done nothing different than i did before so i've no idea why it recognised it this time.

It was the spinner drive that was recognised at boot, it must be the only time the PC picks it up as when powered on THEN plugged in it will not show up

I've no idea what EFI is but i'll certainly take a go at BIOS, i've went through it to see what it's about but changed nothing as i dont know enough as to what the result would be if i changed the settings

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

So i restarted my PC tonight & forgot the spinner drive was still wired in, the PC recognised it this time so i took a quick look through it & disconnected power & SATA.

Next i plugged in the SSD drive to USB still inside the caddy. it recognised it this time, i accessed the saved pics & transfered them to the M2 (new OS) drive.

I've no idea why it decided to recognise the USB caddy drive this time, im confused as heck about that

I can, but how?, is there a power monitor built into the PC?, i'm running a 450w Corsair PSU & i kinda hope you're wrong as i just built it! :laughing:

Edited by gpl98a1, 29 October 2020 - 11:27 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It is not a power issue.

The 1TB spinner is not detected when plugged in with the computer running because it is not configured in BIOS as Plug and Play.

It is detected at Boot in the BIOS if already plugged in.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

gpl98a1,

I've no idea what EFI is but i'll certainly take a go at BIOS, i've went through it to see what it's about but changed nothing as i dont know enough as to what the result would be if i changed the settings

The UEFI is a modern replacement for the BIOS; (a favorite rant of mine) info if interested. > https://www.howtogee...place-the-bios/

A video for you to watch.   Skip the first 6 minutes, (just funf and adverts). For the moment, watch to 16 minutes and get back. > 

Have you checked/explored the Data you saved to the new OS drive?   

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Ok, i have watched the video between the suggested times & I think i'm comfortable wnough with it, there are alot of things there i don't know what they do though as well.

I will need to check the drive to see if there is anything else that i need to transfer over but my main concern was the pictures & videos

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, there are a lot of settings, mostt of which I do not touch, to easy to end up with an unstable system.

With the PC turned off. > unplug the SSD caddy > attach the 1TB spinner to SATA Port #4 on the MB > attach the power cable.

Boot the computer and enter the BIOS.

On the left side of the screen > left click on Storage > left click the 1TB drive, > on the right under Plug & Play > click the down arrow and select Enable.

On the Boot Priority Ribbon > make sure the SSD is the first drive on the left.

Press the F10 key to save and exit > click yes.   Your computer will restart to the OS.   Now you can copy folders.

First.  Open file explorer > click the 1TB drive > right click the Pictures folder > select Copy, 

Second.  In the left window  > click Desktop > in the right window . right click the Dell Pictures > select Paste.  (wait for a couple of minutes while files are copied.)

Next steps.

Each time when selecting a folder from the 1TB drive -at user, your name, hover the mouse arrow over a folder to see  if it has contents, if empty skip that folder.

1.  At the top left of file explorer window > click the back arrow. 

2.  In the right window > click Users > click your name > right click Documents > select copy.

3.  In the left window > click This PC > click Local Disk C:/ > click the little arrow to the left at user to expand > click the little arrow at Public to expand > right click Documents > select Paste.

Now perform #2 for each folder you want to copy, remember to hover the mouse to see if it has contents.

Next step.

When you finished copying, You can browse the Desktop Dell picture folder and those Public folders to make sure you have the Data you want saved.

There is no need to unplug the 1TB drive, we will format it next.   Use the computer as normal. 

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok Ill complete this hopefully early tomorrow.

Just 1 question, must the spinner drive be plugged into port#4? If it does thats fine but Ive a SATA cable already connected to port #2

Edited by gpl98a1, 30 October 2020 - 06:15 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No, port 2 will be OK if your OS drive is connected to port 1.   I just wanted the spinner not to be on a higher lower number than the OS.   Not for any tech reasons, juist so things look logical when in the storage list in the BIOS. 

Advertisements

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok, maybe good I mentioned it then, my OS drive is in an M.2 slot, not SATA, maybe that changes things?

WD Blue SN550 500GB... https://www.amazon.c...op_mob_ap_share

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It changes the view list on my MB it should be the same on yours; but does not change the functionality.   Yours should show, Sata 1 not detected, Sata 2 will show the 1TB, the M.2 will be at the bottom of the list. 

In the Boot Priority ribbon, the M.2 should be the first on the left.  The 1TB will be listed to the right.

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Yes, there are a lot of settings, mostt of which I do not touch, to easy to end up with an unstable system.

With the PC turned off. > unplug the SSD caddy > attach the 1TB spinner to SATA Port #4 on the MB > attach the power cable.

Boot the computer and enter the BIOS.

On the left side of the screen > left click on Storage > left click the 1TB drive, > on the right under Plug & Play > click the down arrow and select Enable.

On the Boot Priority Ribbon > make sure the SSD is the first drive on the left.

Press the F10 key to save and exit > click yes.   Your computer will restart to the OS.   Now you can copy folders.

First.  Open file explorer > click the 1TB drive > right click the Pictures folder > select Copy, 

Second.  In the left window  > click Desktop > in the right window . right click the Dell Pictures > select Paste.  (wait for a couple of minutes while files are copied.)

Next steps.

Each time when selecting a folder from the 1TB drive -at user, your name, hover the mouse arrow over a folder to see  if it has contents, if empty skip that folder.

1.  At the top left of file explorer window > click the back arrow. 

2.  In the right window > click Users > click your name > right click Documents > select copy.

3.  In the left window > click This PC > click Local Disk C:/ > click the little arrow to the left at user to expand > click the little arrow at Public to expand > right click Documents > select Paste.

Now perform #2 for each folder you want to copy, remember to hover the mouse to see if it has contents.

Next step.

When you finished copying, You can browse the Desktop Dell picture folder and those Public folders to make sure you have the Data you want saved.

There is no need to unplug the 1TB drive, we will format it next.   Use the computer as normal. 

Hello again, I believe i have carried out your instruction correctly, there are some differences though

In the RED labelled insruction on entering the BIOS (from memory) the 'storage' on the LHS was in the basic menu, i left clicked on it but when i left clicked on the frive it done nothing, did not highlight the drive & gave me no option to select 'ENABLE'

So i exited out of the BIOS & started the PC.

From there i could see the spinner drive & i created a '1TB' folder on my new OS desktop (M2) drive, i dragged what files i needed from the spinner drive into that folder - on my OS desktop i now have a '1TB' folder (backing uup the spinner drive) & a 'Dell Pictures' Folder backing my old OS SSD

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, if the option to enable plug and play not available, forget that.

On the desktop, can you explore the 1TB spinner folder and can you open, user, your name, and see the files in docs, pictures and videos?

gpl98a1

gpl98a1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Yes i can expolre it & see various folders & files.

Being the organised (sarcasm) person i am though i always just dumped anything remotely important into 1 big folder, i suppose in my head it was easier to back up/duplicate

1TB ss.jpg 1TB ss2.png