Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange visual artifacts on pointer after hours of use

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I have a Thinkpad T450s with the standard integrated graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 5500). For the last few months, after using the computer for several hours (usually after 4-5 hours of runtime without a restart), my pointer will suddenly change, where when I scroll over links or anything clickable, it shows a black box, and when I scroll over text entry fields, it shows a "scroll" graphic. To solve the problem, I have to restart the computer (and then of course it begins again after 4-5 hours of use). I'm using Windows 10, the OS is fully updated and the drivers for all system components are fully updated. I've included screenshots of the artifacts at the link below: 

https://imgur.com/a/83gZQyO

There isn't any pattern as to when it happens (i'm not using a specific program, or after a specific amount of time). I'm not doing anything very intense with the system, typically using it for web browsing in Chrome, email in Outlook, and some very simple Python development. Any ideas what could be causing it?

Edited by MR0624, 08 September 2020 - 08:22 AM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello MR0624,

Any ideas here,

https://support.goog.../17365198?hl=en

I did not have time to review the link.

Thanks

zep

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like it might be getting hot.

Run Speedfan to monitor your temps in real time:

http://www.filehippo...nload_speedfan/

Download, save and Install it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.).

It will tell you your temps in real time tho the default is to show the hard drive temp in the systray.  You can change it:  Hit Configure then click on the highest temp and check Show in tray.  
Win 10 hides icons by default so: Settings, Personalization,  Taskbar, Select which Icons appear on Taskbar,  then turn Speedfan ON.
With no other programs running what is the highest temp you see?  Run an anti-virus scan, play one of your games or watch a video for at least 5 minutes.  What is the highest temp now?  Leave Speedfan running and watch the temp as you use it normally for 4-5 hours.  Does it slowly climb?  How high does it go?

We don't really want it to go over about 65 under load.  If it does it usually means either the fan is defective (speedfan should tell you your fan speed so you can see if it is running) or (most likely) the interface between the fan and the heatsink is clogged with dust. The best fix for a clogged heatsink is to remove the fan (not the heatsink or heatpipe) and vacuum out the heatsink.  However on some PCs this is major surgery.  Sometimes you can blow air backwards through the exhaust vent while vacuuming at the input vent and if you are lucky it may clear the heatsink.  Don't do it too long as the fan may overrev.