Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Use Wifi Extender

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Connect to the Rockspace_EXT

Open an Elevated Command Prompt:

Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
Win 8: http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html
win 10: http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/

type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

hit Enter

If it doesn't show the default gateway is 192.168.0.254 what does it say?

You might need to reset the extender:

Find the RST hole.  Stick an unfolded paperclip or similar in the hole and depress the switch and hold it for at least 8 seconds.

Then repeat the above.

Alternatively you can try pressing the WPS button on the extender then  press the WPS button on your router within 2 minutes.  That should automate the setup if it works.

Advertisements

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

@Rkinner Thanks. I will give it a go and report back.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Hi. I reset the extender using the RST hole. Then reset both using the WPS button. Then typed ipconfig /release and when I received another prompt typed ipconfig /renew.

Att#1 is release and shows no gateway.

Att#2 is renew.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.png
  • 2.png
  • 3.jpg

Edited by Athena28, 01 November 2020 - 09:20 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

You have the Ethernet adapter connected to something on the laptop.   If you are trying to set up the WiFi it should be disconnected.   Where does the yellow wire go from the Extender?  Normally there should be nothing attached.  The extender is supposed to pick up the WiFi from the router and rebroadcast it. 

What SSID are you connecting to on the laptop?  You need to be looking at the Extender's SSID and it should connect without a password.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

@Rkinner Will check it out. Thank you.

buddywiser

buddywiser

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

@Rkinner Will check it out. Thank you.

How's your WiFi extender going?

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

You have the Ethernet adapter connected to something on the laptop.   If you are trying to set up the WiFi it should be disconnected.   Where does the yellow wire go from the Extender?  Normally there should be nothing attached.  The extender is supposed to pick up the WiFi from the router and rebroadcast it. 

What SSID are you connecting to on the laptop?  You need to be looking at the Extender's SSID and it should connect without a password.

@Rkinner Sorry, I often only get here on Sundays.  The yellow ethernet cord is connected from the router to the laptop. The yellow ethernet cord isn't connected to the Extender at all. It was just in the background of the picture.

The Wifi SSID = 694220

The Extender's SSID = rockspace_ENT

OK, I just took out the yellow wire from the router to the laptop. And attached the inSSIDer snip showing blue for the first time. It's interesting, though bc it's showing blue regarding the Wifi's SSID but not the Extender's SSID. Att. 1

I just went to my Roku and selected 694220_ENT. It wanted a password so I put in the password for the regular Wifi SSID = 694220 and it seems to be working. Just ran inSSIDer again. Att.2

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.png
  • 2.png

Edited by Athena28, 08 November 2020 - 09:01 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Typically an extender will use the same SSID with _EXT attached and will also use the same password as the original signal.

It looks like you have it working correctly now tho the signal strength of the extender is nothing to write home about.  Hopefully that means that your PC is close to the router and the extender is in its final resting place.

If you move the laptop near the extender and connect to 694220_EXT what does inssider show?

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
@RKinner Yes, the laptop is next to the extender. And the router (with no Ethernet cord attached to the laptop) is also next to the laptop. I will try the 694220_EXT the next time I am there and post a screenshot of the inssider . Thank you.

Edited by Athena28, 08 November 2020 - 11:09 AM.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

@Rkinner.  Hi. I attached a screenshot as I'm now on the extender.. The extender is right next to the laptop.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.png

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Not the strongest Extender but it appears to be working.  Are you able to get on line?  Try running speedtest.net and see if you get about half of what you pay for.  (Seems extenders are only able to give you half of the speed.)

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

@Rkinner Yeah, the d/l speed is pretty poor. Considering she's paying for 200 Mbps according to the bill I just accessed This attachment is when I'm using 694220_ EXT.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.png

Edited by Athena28, 15 November 2020 - 08:37 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Switch back to the router and run the same speed check.  I'm betting it will show you around 100 MB download.

I discovered when setting up my new TP-Link Deco Mesh Router that my desktop's WiFi adapter could only do the 2.4 GHz band and that the best it could do was about half of the speed that my newer laptop could do on the 5 GHx band.  Appears your laptop can only do 2.4 GHz with its current adapter so there is no way to tell if the router or the extender are offering 5 GHz.  You might want to try a USB dual band WiFi adapter  such as a TP-Link Nano AC600 USB Wifi Adapter -$14.99 on Amazon (or get a friend's newer laptop) to see if there is a 5 GHz band and if it's faster.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

@Rkinner You're right.

So far, so good. She's been doing well since you helped :help:  us with the extender and the Roku. Thanks so much.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5.png

Edited by Athena28, 16 November 2020 - 08:20 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Glad I could help.