Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC build, games crashing, blue screens (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 26 September 2020 - 04:00 AM

Apologies for the delay getting back to you. Couple of things of note in Speccy that may or may not explain the BSOD that generated the crash dmps. There are still traces of Avast on the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

johonn

johonn

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Hi all,

I just built a new PC a couple weeks ago, and ever since installing Windows, I've been having trouble with crashes. I get crashes with multiple games, as well as the PC itself crashing. I've gotten at least a couple blue screens, and it sometimes crashes when I'm away at work doing nothing on it. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

Blue screens: Stop code Reference by Pointer, and Memory Management

PC build:

ASUS Prime Z490-A, Core i7 10700K, ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 TI 6GB, Corsair Vengance LPX 2x16GB 3200MHz DDR4, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Edited by johonn, 14 September 2020 - 12:09 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello johonn,

Couple of things for you to do;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Thanks for the reply!

I've edited my original post with the PSU information added, also provided make and model for DRAM, to keep it all together.

I'll get the other info for you tonight when I'm at my PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No rush as me being in the UK time zone means I will be going offline soon.

Good choice of PSU and you are welcome btw  :)

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Speccy: http://speccy.pirifo...6HkCsb3EUurX6x4

minidump attached.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Apologies for the delay, not been able to be around for a few days  :(

Speccy shows that Windows was installed on 8/20/2020, after installing Windows did you install the chipset drivers for the MB.

The latest BIOS Version 0707 which you can download from here provides the following;

"1.Improve system performance
2.Update Intel Microcode
3.Improve AI Overclocking function for new CPU"

The first couple of dmps were to old to be of any use but looking at the last two dmps we can see a memory management problem in the last dmp and a problem with Avast in the previous crash dmp.

Couple of questions if I may;

Are you overclocking at all.

Why do you have Avast installed, it has become somewhat of a monster, is no longer recommended on most forums + it is known to cause issues, see canned info below;

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

You can uninstall Avast in the Control Panel but should you have any problems see Avast clean removal info here Please create a new system restore point first.

If you stick with only Windows Defender, once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer.  

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Not overclocking.

I removed Avast and turned on Windows Defender. I'll see how the system runs after that. Not sure if a BIOS update is going to fix my problem, and I'm a bit wary of doing that if it's not necessary. Are there any other things we can try before that?

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No OC info acknowledged & no worries, we only make suggestions and it is up to yourself what if any changes you make.

All we can do now is wait to see if there are any further BSOD, if there are, we will need the latest dmps + a new Speccy url if you will.

You are welcome  :)

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Well, if you think the BIOS update will stop my games and PC crashing, I'll do it, I'm just nervous about bricking my mobo.

Just had another BSOD - Memory Management again. Thing is I had just restarted recently, and only had a browser open, watching a show. Honestly my old build from 2009 running Windows 7 was more stable than this...

Speccy link: http://speccy.pirifo...5sJqy6mUMURiVP0

Attached Files

Edited by johonn, 22 September 2020 - 12:50 AM.

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Got 3 more BSOD minidumps attached.

Speccy: http://speccy.pirifo...YTsTJ53fM5fugmJ

Thanks again for any help you're able to give!

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond my control I am unable to afford the time time to assist on the forums for a day or two, apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

Apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Couple of things of note in Speccy that may or may not explain the BSOD that generated the crash dmps.

There are still traces of Avast on the computer;

Scheduler
9/23/2020 12:07 AM;: AvastUpdateTaskMachineUA
9/23/2020 12:19 AM;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
9/23/2020 12:50 AM;: MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA
9/23/2020 8:37 AM;: AdobeGCInvoker-1.0
9/23/2020 2:19 PM;: GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore
9/23/2020 4:07 PM;: AvastUpdateTaskMachineCore
9/23/2020 9:22 PM;: OneDrive Standalone Update Task-S-1-5-21-1709607417-1930729375-1648427968-1001
9/23/2020 11:50 PM;: MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore

You mentioned that you were not overclocking but your RAM is being overclocked from its stock 2133MHz to 3206MHz which is faster than what your CPU is comfortable with at its own stock settings, Intel suggest DDR4 2933MHz RAM be used.

RAM 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1603MHz (17-18-18-36)

If not used the first time, see Avast clean removal info here

To address the memory speed there are a couple of steps to try;

Restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS.

Disable XMP in the BIOS, if the computer runs stable, manually increase the speed of the RAM in the BIOS, do this in increments such as 2400MHz, 2666MHz and then try the 2933MHz that is recommended by Intel for their CPU.

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Oh, good catch on the RAM. I've set it back to 2133MHz - if I did that, I wasn't remembering it.Once my issues are resolved I may try increasing it if I feel like I want more performance but for now it makes sense to stay at the stock frequency.

I tried to download the avastclear.exe program, but the link doesn't seem to actually work for me - I can go to the webpage, but the download link doesn't actually load anything. It seems to start, and then fail. I tried finding the file elsewhere but any site that actually has that exact file just seems to be linking back to Avast's page. Is there any other way for me to get my hands on the utility?

I'll see how things are with the stock RAM frequency and let you know. Thanks!

Edited by johonn, 26 September 2020 - 05:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:thumbsup:

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Hi,

After a few days of using the PC, it is much more stable. I haven't had any blue screens or app crashes so far, so that seems to have been the main culprit! Thanks again for catching that!

Regarding avastclear.exe, I was able to download the file at work, though I got a warning that it could not be downloaded securely. Not sure what's going on with that file, but I'll try it out at home this evening.