Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Samsung 9 Pro

notebook laptop keyboard

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Haven't been here in years. I could not find a forum search so posting.  I have Samsung Notebook  9 Pro, purchased May 2020 from Samsung.  The backlit keyboard stops working; when that happens a few Fn buttons stop also.  5 times now. It is something with Samsung Settings app. Uninstalling and reinstalling it brings the light back. Several chats with SS "techs". They keep wanting me to send for repair, ugh. They keep saying it's hardware.  Wondering if anyone has had this issue and a permanent fix?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Since 1) It is still under warranty, and 2) software cannot fix broken hardware, recommend sending it to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

Also note that if anyone opens it up to attempt a repair they will have immediately voided the warranty (that you have paid for).

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Could you tell what hardware would cause this issue?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

First thought is a cold/cracked/bad solder joint. Could also be a bad/broken wire, loose keyboard connector, bad keyboard. <shrug> Hard to tell from where I sit. ;)

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

TY. I did think of similar BUT this doesn't get moved so I didn't think that was issue. I only open/close the cover/lid (?). The 1st time it happened it was 3 wks after setup and 4 x since. The unistalling/reinstalling works. I will prob end up doing warranty.  I had a hard time doing backup to external drive in anticipation of sending. Got frustrated and gave up. Will have to try again before I send.  Too much in this baby now!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Know what you mean.

Give Samsung a chance to make it right. They are usually pretty good about it.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Oh and pretty good chatting online too. But after the 3rd time and I knew how to fix, I was hoping I'd get a tech that knew exactly the issue. Weird I find no info online for this issue.  This is my first SS laptop. Many phones. And a 4 yr old smart tv still in box. Guess I'll have to bit the bullet.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

"No info" could indicate a one-off issue.

Got a chuckle out of the 4 year old Samsung Smart TV that's still in the box. You must be awfully busy, or simply don't need it? ;)

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

I got a free 32" Sharp Aquios (sp) in 2011.  Bought the smart in case this freebie stopped. Well 9 yrs later, sharp still good! If it ain't broke don't fix it. I should prob re-donate and hook up the smart so I can stop dusting the box. Need new DTV wiring anyway.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

And my weird luck, I'd be the one off.  I know i'm special

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Yep, I'd probably rather be watching the newer Smart TV.

Last year when one of my nieces proclaimed they "were special", I immediately ask "And you got to ride the Special bus and everything?" ;)