Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 update (14.10.2020) causing black screen

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

BuckleSwash

BuckleSwash

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Win 10 update last night has left my PC not starting properly today. 

Seems to start up no problem and then just present a black screen. Mouse cursor visible and responsive on both monitors. 

Ctrl+Alt+Del bring ups task bar menu no problems. 

Restarts and power off/on doesn't help. 

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to reset graphics drivers doesn't make any difference. 

Any help much appreciated! 

Advertisements

BuckleSwash

BuckleSwash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Problem persists in safe mode (with networking). 

BuckleSwash

BuckleSwash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Rolling back to previous quality of life updates has not fixed the problem... 

BuckleSwash

BuckleSwash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Unable to uninstall latest feature update - automatic repair troubleshoot is suggesting a reset on the PC :'( 

BuckleSwash

BuckleSwash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

System restore to "Window Moduler Installer" point morning before update. This doesn't appear to have helped either. 

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Not seeing any complaints from others on this up date Tuesday, there the KB45'S. Have you made any progress on your issue ?

BuckleSwash

BuckleSwash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Tried another system restore to a previous point (12/10/20) which also didn't seem to make any difference. Eventually did a Windows reset and that seems to have things fixed. 

I'm being asked now for another Windows update so I think I'll pause this for a week or two and see if I can find what the original problem was. It seems far too much of a coincidence to not have been caused by the update - but strange that safe mode was showing the same problem. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If you have any further issues it may help if you refer to the below, the latest version of Windows 10 (2004) is not compatible with all hardware which is the reason why users are able to pause the initial 2004 Feature update.

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the CPU, the MB and add on video card if one is used, providing these details will enable folk to better assist you. 

imanalien2020

imanalien2020

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Anyone having this issue try this. Worked for me after numerous updates and after fully installing windows as a fresh install my install would go to a black screen halfway through the setup, this worked in either case...

Try to blindly log in

Sometimes you might encounter a black screen before you can sign-in to Windows. If this happens, you might not be able to see the login field at all and enter your password. However, you can fix this issue by entering your password blindly.

To do that, just follow these steps:

1. When you are on the black screen, wait for your mouse cursor to show up.
  2. Once you have the cursor, press Control on your keyboard – this will put the focus on the login password field.
  3. Now type your password. You can’t see it, but you will have to do it anyway – just do it at your own pace.
  4. Now just hit Enter and voila, you are logged into Windows. If for some reason your desktop still does not appear after 30 seconds, try pressing Windows Key + P at the same time, let go and quickly press the down arrow key twice and hit Enter.