Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Encrypting an external drive

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Hi,

I am trying to encrypt a plug in external drive using Veracrypt.

I am a little confused when asked what area to encrypt, it has two options shown, Encrypt the Windows system partition, or Encrypt the whole drive.

As far as I am aware there is no Windows partition on the drive, but it will not let me select Encrypt the whole drive.

Can someone please clarify.

Regards

Eenie

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Take a look at this guide... See if it helps

https://www.veracryp...s Tutorial.html

Regards

paws

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Following the guide above, you can encrypt any amount of information on your hard drive. The main thing is not to lose the encryption key.

Hi,

I have encryted a folder on the external drive, but when I click on it, it asks how do I want o open it and shows a table of apps.

Can't figure out what to use.

Eenie

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

I have encryted a folder on the external drive, but when I click on it, it asks how do I want o open it and shows a table of apps.

Can't figure out what to use.

Eenie

If you have problems accessing encrypted files, then you can use EFS Recovery. This software is great for such tasks.

This is the first time I that I tried to open the file since I created it. It asks what app to use.