Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98 to Win Xp File transfer

• Please log in to reply

akn

akn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Win 98 PC (its an ancient AMD K6 300MHz) motherboard got fried and I have a new Win Xp computer. But I have some files in my Win 98 PC that I need to transfer to my new PC. What is the best solution for that? The Win 98 PC has USB 2.0.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Probably the easiest way is to hook the old hard drive up to the new computer. Most new machines use the cable select option but it would be wise to check the setting on the new machines hard drive. You may need an extra cable or a power supply y-connector, but I'd check first. The new computer should quickly recognize the old drive and as soon as it does it will show up in my computer. Then you can move or copy and paste the files. I's a lot simpler than trying to network two machines. If the old one is dead it won't network anyway.

PS: Make sure the hard drive isn't shorted out or damaged before you hok it up.

akn

akn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks..let me try it out.