Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Arris TG2482A / Linksys WRT54GS problem

Best Answer RKinner , 07 November 2020 - 03:30 PM

I think you are trying too hard. Connect cable from ARRIS LAN port to Linksys Internet.  Verify that the link lights come on on both ARRIS & Linksys.You might want to reset the Linksy... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

tjmcs

tjmcs

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I am trying to get better reception in a poor reception part of the house. Main modem/router is an Arris TG2482A (from Suddenlink). Second router is a Linksys WRT54GS. I can not get them to play well together.

I have gone into the Linksys and turned off DHCP.

The IP for the Arris is 192.168.0.1. I have set the Linksys IP to 192.168.0.254, 192.168.0.100, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1.

I have turned security off for the Linksys off. I have turned it on and set it as close to the Arris as possible, WPA Preshared Key with the algorithm set to either TKIP or AES (the Arris is set to WPA2-PSK (AES).

The channel for the Arris is 11 and the Linksys is 1.

I have run a cat6 cable to the poor reception area. Cable works. If I turn the wireless off on my laptop and use the cable, it has internet. I have plugged the cable into the Linksys LAN port and WAN port.

I have reser both the Arris and the Linksys many times.

The best the setup will give me is "identifying".

Linksys website says to just connect the Arris and Linksys with a cable, connected to either port.

I have even read all I need is a crossover cable.

I am confused. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks. (I work strange hours so I may not respond quickly sometimes. Don't give up on me.)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
✓  Best Answer

I think you are trying too hard.

Connect cable from ARRIS LAN port to Linksys Internet.  Verify that the link lights come on on both ARRIS & Linksys.

You might want to reset the Linksys to undo any changes you have made.

There are two ways to reset the Router’s
factory defaults. Either press and hold the
Reset Button, for approximately five seconds,
or restore the defaults from Administration
> Factory Defaults in the Router’s web-based
utility.

On Linksys

You can leave it set to the Default DHCP (or if you really want you can tell it to

Use Static IP 192.168.0.254

Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1

Static DNS1 192.168.0.1)

I would leave it set to Gateway and let the Linksys provide DHCP to its clients at least until you get it working.

Plug into the Linksys with your PC.  Can you get on the Internet?  What IP did you get assigned?  (open an elevated command prompt

Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
Win 8: http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html
win 10: http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/

and type

ipconfig

hit Enter )

You might want to change the address range used by the Linksys DHCP server to 192.168.1.1 for the Linksys with 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 for the range.

You should be able to get on the Internet without a problem.  May have some problems accessing a network printer but worry about that after you get the basics working.

Go ahead and set up your Wireless now and then test it.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Setup the Linksys according to you suggestion. Works great. At the end of a 3 foot patch cable. At the end of a 55 foot cable in my dead zone, will not connect.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like a substandard cable.  Ethernet should go 100 meters or 328 feet.  I suppose it could be a weak transceiver on one end or the other but that seems unlikely.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I made a comment after I posted that I had no connection that did not post. Probably did not hit the "post" button. I got the connection to work, that is why I marked it as solved.

After the failed attempt, I pulled the power cord and cables from the Linksys and shut down the laptop. Then I plugged in the power cable to the Linksys, waited until the lights turned solid, plugged in the cable from the Arris and waited until that light turned solid. When all was good, I turned on the laptop and It connected. The laptop is windows 7. The connection shows in the internet connection bars on the bottom right. It does not show in the Network and Sharing Center. I am getting 17 down and 10 up. But it works. Thank you.

tjmcs

tjmcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

BTW, I made the cable myself. First attempt. Good possibility I did not do a good job.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I used to have to terminate those cables on my old job before I retired.  Even with the correct equipment it wasn't easy to get them to work the first time.  Glad you got it working.  If you run into problems accessing something from the Linksys or ARRIS side to the other side let me know.