Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

safemode

• Please log in to reply

donnienleah

donnienleah

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Could someone please explain to me why we have safemode??? Why do we have to go into safemode to make corrections? Just curiouse. Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
safe mode is windows with minimal drivers installed and certain progams/services (that normally start at startup) not running.

You do not have to go into safe mode to make corrections (not sure what you mean by that), unless you are correcting driver issues or trying to get around a program that starts at start up (some programs still start at startup).

Safe mode is especially useful for addressing programs that use a/the network, since nomral safe mode lacks network connectivity

donnienleah

donnienleah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
is there any way to get the programs listed in startup out of startup from the msconfig file?

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm not exactly sure if this is what you are asking but you can Startup Item from starting through msconfig by run-->msconfig and then clicking the startup tab and unchecking the items you don't want to startup. Just make sure they are not important to your system integrity/operation first of course. There are lots of third party programs that will do this too, like Spy Sweeper for instance which allows you to edit startup items and can also monitor and alert you when a new startup item is detected. Does this help?

donnienleah

donnienleah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the info, i knew of that, what I am speaking of is how do I get the programs to not show up in the startup, not disable them.
Thanks

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
if you want to disable programs at startup you can do so through Start -> Run -> msconfig

this will start a window, click at startup tab and you will see the list of programs being flagged to run at startup. you can disable/untick the ones you don't want to start. BUT be careful, if you don't know what you are doing do not touch this tool as you might disable essencial programs that are needed by your OS which could cause a problem.

Hopefully that explains it all. :tazz:

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm not sure how to get rid of them altogether that way apart from unistalling the app that put them there. However, I'm not sure what your doing, but in most cases it seems like disabling them would be satisfactory (i.e for saving memory).

Mycah

Mycah

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Safe mode is used to fix problems (like the blue screen) with other programs that start up with the boot.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To prevent programs from starting on boot w/o using msconfig:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
Adds a "start up" entry to your control panel, lets you decide what you want to start w/ Windows.

Johanna