Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer cannot boot after update windows 8

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I'm guessing it still won't boot?

Advertisements

tingtingz

tingtingz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
My computer is able to boot normally.

After I did the chkdsk m: command I followed the solution #2 on this website
https://www.google.c...t-be-found.html
and
Fix#1 under Fix for UEFI Boot in Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 on website
https://neosmart.net.../fix-uefi-boot/

Both websites gave the same instructions

I performed the following commands after the chkdsk m:

cd /d m:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\

bootrec /fixboot -> returns a message operation performed successfully

ren BCD BCD.bak

bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s m: /f ALL

Here I did the command bootrec /rebuildbcd again to see if it yield a different response from before.

After the command I got the same message as before
Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installation:1
[1]. C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:
I enter Y and I got
The requested system device cannot be found.

I just exit out of command prompt and turn off computer

I removed the bootable USB and turn on the computer

I reach a screen with a message saying there is no device to boot from, then I thought maybe I need to change the boot from USB to boot from hard drive. When I press F2 to go into BIOS, select boot, select legacy, found out there is no Boot from USB drive since I removed the USB. I insert the USB again, restart the computer, press F2, boot, legacy, move boot from hard drive on top of boot from USB, save and exit. The computer restarts. It did not boot from hard drive instead it boot from USB again.

I restart the computer, I press F12 to go into boot options, change boot mode setting, change the legacy boot mode secure boot off back to UEFI boot mode secure boot on. I restart the computer and it boot normally now, no more Error code: 0xc0000034.

Edited by tingtingz, 15 November 2020 - 11:17 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Glad you got it working.  Let's look at the hard drive to see if it is dying:

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...ownload_speccy/ 

(Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Tell it you do not need CCLEANER.    Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving),
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top,  10-20  lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  Attaching the log is the best option as it is too big for the forum.  Attaching is a multi step process.

First click on More Reply Options
Then scroll down to where you see
Choose File and click on it.  Point it at the file and hit Open.
Now click on Attach this file.

tingtingz

tingtingz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I have attached the speccy report to this post

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Hard drive looks pretty good.  No errors showing. 

Speccy does say it is running a bit hot. 

CPU
            Intel Core i5 4210U @ 1.70GHz    65 °C

Can't really trust Speccy tho.  Best to get another opinion.

http://www.filehippo...nload_speedfan/

Download, save and Install it (Win 7+ or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7+ or Vista right click on the desktop icon and Run As Admin.).

It will tell you your temps in real time tho the default is to show the hard drive temp in the systray.  You can change it:  Hit Configure then click on the highest temp and check Show in tray.  
Win 10 hides icons by default so: Settings, Personalization,  Taskbar, Select which Icons appear on Taskbar,  then turn Speedfan ON.
With no other programs running what is the highest temp you see?  Run an anti-virus scan, play one of your games or watch a video for at least 5 minutes.  What is the highest temp now?

We don't really want it to go over about 65 under load.  If it does it usually means either the fan is defective (speedfan should tell you your fan speed so you can see if it is running) or (most likely) the interface between the fan and the heatsink is clogged with dust. The best fix for a clogged heatsink is to remove the fan (not the heatsink or heatpipe) and vacuum out the heatsink.  However on some PCs this is major surgery.  Sometimes you can blow air backwards through the exhaust vent while vacuuming at the input vent and if you are lucky it may clear the heatsink.  Don't do it too long as the fan may overrev.