Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New MSI/Ryzen 7 AMD Build w/CSM vs. UEFI Problems

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Doing fine here, thanks.   Australia has secured enough vaccines, some will be manufactured here, roll out in march.

Bummer you have to wait for your jabs, hope it won't be too long;  health advice here for anyone with compromised conditions, "only have your vaccinations administered at a facility where immediate treatment can be administered if you suffer an allergic reaction", I take that to mean a hospital.

If not already being used, I would install Macrium, created a rescue USB, create an image, > http://www.howtogeek...backup-utility/

As you are installing under a local account,

Just in case, save in advance your Wireless or Ethernet (wired) LAN driver in your backup.

When Windows starts, go to Windows update, Advanced > turn off Receive updates for other Microsoft products 

and Pause Updates:  set for 7 days.   This will give you time to run MSI live update, > https://www.msi.com/...update-5-manual

and install the GPU drivers, when ready, go back to Windows Update and run.

Steps will be, changing the hardware, wiping the SSD, installing windows.

Your new GPU ports are, DisplayPort 1.4 | HDMI 2.0b | DVI-D

NVidia when connected to 2 or more monitors, auto sets the monitor with the lowest port detected as the default display.   so, for the Windows install, use ONE monitor with HDMI, sort out dual display later. 

We need to ensure that BIOS is set to defaults before doing anything, so without changing anything,

> restart, > enter BIOS > go the the exit menu > select Default Setting > save > exit.

Please post back when done. 

Advertisements

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks for the task list. I've got everything ready to take the plunge except for one concern:

"Your new GPU ports are, DisplayPort 1.4 | HDMI 2.0b | DVI-D. NVidia when connected to 2 or more monitors, auto sets the monitor with the lowest port detected as the default display.   so, for the Windows install, use ONE monitor with HDMI, sort out dual display later. 

Neither of my monitors have HDMI. They have DisplayPort and DVI - will that be a problem?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by digitalred93, 18 December 2020 - 11:11 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No, not a problem, I gave HDMI as it is the , middle , display.   Use the DP port.   Windows installer will use a generic video driver until you install the Nvidia ones, so the display quality will be poor

1.   Switch off the PSU but leave plugged into power socket.

2.   Disconnect all external peripheral devices including internet, but except mouse and keyboard.

3.   Take anti   static measure briefly touching a bare metal part of the case.

4.   Remove the old GPU > disconnect all drives except the new SSD, (connect it to SATA port #1)

5.   Install the new GPU (use the 8 pin PCIe adapter power cable) and connect to one monitor.

6.   Plug in the Windows installer USB stick, > switch on the PSU > start and press the appropriate F key to enter the BIOS.

7.   Press the F7 key to enter Advance mode.

8.   On the left hand side > click Settings, in the menu that opens > click Secure Erase.

9.   Enable Secure Erase, follow the prompts until erase is complete. (you will only have 1 SSD to select)

10. Restart and Boot from the USB installer.

11. Install Windows.

When you select the drive for installation, it will show as Unallocated space.   "just click Next to let the installer auto-create/format only the necessary partitions and begin install - which makes it fool proof." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1.   When Windows starts, go to Windows update, Advanced > turn OFF Receive updates for other Microsoft products 

and enable Pause Updates:  set it for 7 days.   

2.  Connect to the Internet.

3.  Run MSI live update, > https://www.msi.com/...update-5-manual

4.  Install the GPU drivers, ( I don't game so do not install the GeForce Experience, which is a terrible resources hog, I also use the Studio drivers, not the game Ready).

> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ I would also just leave the one monitor connect until all updates are installed.

5.  when ready, go back to Windows Update, > disable Paused Updates > Continue updates until completed.

Please let me know if everything is clear, and/or you have questions. 

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Sorry for the delayed response. Busy day getting ready for the holiday. Just me and the spouse, but still a busy one.

Instructions are VERY clear (thank you!). Have some hospital scans in the morn, but plan on coming back and doing the deed tomorrow. On the hard drives, I plan on unplugging the current C and D drives and just plugging the new SSD into SATA #1. Once everything is completed (per your wonderful guide), then I'll plug those other ones in for data drives.

Fingers crossed - hope to "see you on the other side!"

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That's a plan, sounds good.

After you have restored your files and before reusing/formatting the old drives, post back.

Good luck. 

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Installation went smooth and easy. Thank you for your fantastic directions. I've got a ton of software configuring to do, but I'll first need to set up those other two drives so I can put Dropbox in place. Any words from the wise are much appreciated.

More importantly, what can I do as a proper thank you? You've been incredibly helpful (and patient!).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That is great news and you were quick as well.

Use a similar  process for each drive as in the original instructions.

1.   PSU off > anti static measures > connect only ONE of the two drive at a time > power up and enter BIOS.

2.   Go to Secure Erase > enable > select drive (make sure it is the correct one) > When complete > restart to the OS.

If you get a window saying "you must initialise.... > make sure the correct drive is ticked > click the radio button GPT > click OK, then 

> Open Disk Management > Right click  unallocated region of the selected drive >  click New Simple Volume, > use the Default settings. (note, you may want to add a suitable label for each drive.

When finished, perform the same steps again connecting the 2nd drive. 

Your drives will then ready to use.

"More importantly, what can I do as a proper thank you? You've been incredibly helpful (and patient!)."

​Nothing special, I enjoy the pastime and the reward is a satisfactory result.

Let us know how things progress. 

digitalred93

digitalred93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Sorry for the day delay. It's that nutty time of year.

Followed instructions. No problem getting the WD hard drive cleaned up and running. The 250gb Samsung is a different story. Had no problem erasing in the BIOS when it was the only thing plugged in. Windows, however, is not recognizing the drive. At all. I double checked and it is recognized in the BIOS.

FWIW, my two optical drives are fine, too. The only odd thing is that if I don't have a disc in them, they don't show up in Windows Explorer. That's fine. Probably not an issue.

My only other "quibble" is that SHOCK! My 10-year old secondary monitor and the new GPU do NOT get along. No matter what I do, the display is murky at best. Primary monitor is fine so I just ordered a new secondary (which will actually become my primary). Prices are in the basement right now for excellent monitors.

Anyhoo: Not sure what gives with the 250gb SSD, but it's not a big deal. I was toying with making it be a snapshot of the C drive before I got too far into installing all the software back in OR as a place for special video projects.

If I don't hear from you before Christmas, no worries. I hope you have a great time. 

Be safe.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Never a problem in time for replying.   Sad the monitor has problems, sometimes hardware just is not compatible.   Now the SSD, some suggestions > https://www.easeus.c...windows-10.html

If no luck try running the latest version of Samsung Magician.

DVD ROMS hot showing, may be like USB Ports, don't show unless occupied but should show in Disk/Device Managers. 

A Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Later

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday digitalred93.

​Did you get your new monitor?  Please give an update and let us now everything going? 

Advertisements