Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System.unauthorizedAccessException

• Please log in to reply

Cycla2011

Cycla2011

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Access to the path "" is denied. 

I can't open resumes in my database. I think this has something to do with OneDrive.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Need a little more info. Are you considering OneDrive as your "database" which you access in different ways? Are you using asp.net?

"System.UnauthorizedAccessException" is usually a Micro$oft doc that is being access and may be corrupted, there's an I/O problem or there is a security lock out such as you do not have permission to access the file (access to the path is denied). What was the full error code generated? Windows 10 has options in settings to set up "controlled folders" access. Programs during an install or in normal use may need to access a protected folder you listed. Are you using protected folders?

Cycla2011

Cycla2011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You lost me at "Need a little more info". 
I am not considering OneDrive as my database. It came with Office 365.  Don't know what an asp.net means.
How would I find out if I am using protected folders? 
I am a recruiter. I have a database with candidate's resumes. I can't open them anymore. Something happened.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Well, I'm still not sure exactly what you are accessing, i.e., type of file format(s): .doc,.accdt, .accdc (all Micro$oft types), csv. Where you are trying to access them, i.e., inside Office 365 default file folders, whether files are online or on your computer (assuming you are trying to access files made using Office 365 installed on PC). If everything is done on PC, then what program are you using if not Office 365 and what OS? Forget asp.net. Use of the word "database" means something different to mean where the information is on a SQL server.

If you are using Win 10, you can open Settings and type in "Controlled Folders" or "Folders". Not sure if you just don't have authority to files stored on your PC or external drive. Don't know anything as to exactly what you are doing, what procedures you are using. Folders and files may have been restricted by some update. Usually, you can right click on the folder/files and look for menu item that will allow you to take ownership of them. 

Maybe someone else will read all this and have a better idea of what you are experiencing and the solution.

Cycla2011

Cycla2011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Do you all go on people's computers so that you can actually see what's going on? If so, I will gladly pay someone if somebody fixes my problem.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I go on friends computers using TeamViewer when they have a problem. Not all problems are solved though.

ALL help is free and no payment is required when seeking help on this site. You need to be very, very carful in allowing people remote connections to your computer. Any of the moderators or admin of this site would be ones I would ask. You could use Live Chat (upper right corner) to find help or ask question(s) on Geek Talk (NOT related to GeekstoGo) on Facebook. Just join the group and see if anyone has a solution. If no help, I can try via TeamViewer. I usually use FB call app once connected as "Friends" so can talk while connected.

Cycla2011

Cycla2011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I would like to connect somehow. Please advise.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Have you talked to anyone in Live Chat on this site yet? I have to use TeamViewer to remotely access and I have to use Facebook's Call or Skype so I can talk at same time. I would check in Live Chat here to see whether someone can connect a lot better.

Hope you and family had a nice Thanksgiving.