Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Permanently change folder icons without needing any ico files etc. and

folder icon mass folder icon change challegance challenge how to how to change folder icon

• Please log in to reply

Ahmet Onur AKOL

Ahmet Onur AKOL

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I have texture collections. Each texture of that collection is in it's individual folder with diffuse map, bump map, etc. (picture1) When I try to use them in a 3d model project I have to know what they will look like. But checking each folder for to find just a texture is too much time consuming. So I am making my texture folder look like picture2. I am making it by using "change icon>click on .ico image of that texture" and then to make change permanent I use /desktop.ini command in that folder. But it is time consuming too because for example making this to 100 pieces texture collection archive is like 1-2hours and I have tons of them. So my question is

1- Is there a shorter way to change folder icons permanently (like if requested icons are in their folders already, a mass command to change their folder image to them? And permanently of course not to effect from folder transfers) (Am I asking for too much:))

2- I downloaded icons for my archive folders from some sites. And some of them are already in "folder form". I mean their folders look as icon and there is no icon in them. These folders' images don't change whether I move them to other place or external harddrive. Is anyone know how to do that with or without a program?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

You might try TinyTask and see if that can be used to automate your procedure a bit:

https://www.softpedi...-TinyTask.shtml

Instructions here (with bad link to download TinyTask):

https://www.techjunk...-in-windows-10/

I think if I were doing it then I would just click on Properties, Customize, Choose File and then pick one of the files.  That gives you a picture of a folder with the picture file you chose.  Like this:

marb.jpg

without having to edit desktop.ini

As for how some of them make the folder look like the picture you can probably figure it out if

you pick one with a distinctive name then search for

regedit.exe

and hit Enter

Then scroll down to 

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

and then Edit Find and search for the distinctive name (without any extensions)

This is what the folder in my example looks like:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\2144\Shell]
"SniffedFolderType"="Pictures"
"FolderType"="Pictures"
"Logo"="C:\\Users\\Ron\\Downloads\\WM_Marble-125_1024\\WM_Marble-125_1024.png"

desktop.ini was automatically changed to:
[ViewState]
Mode=
Vid=
FolderType=Pictures
Logo=C:\Users\Ron\Downloads\WM_Marble-125_1024\WM_Marble-125_1024.png

Expect your fancy folder will have more entries.

Is there a reason to keep the pictures isolated in their own folders?  If there are several variations within each folder then perhaps you could create master folders for the different variation types and then move all of the pictures of one type to the associated master folder.  Might want to use one of these:

Ahmet Onur AKOL

Ahmet Onur AKOL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

1- You might try TinyTask and see if that can be used to automate your procedure a bit:

2- I think if I were doing it then I would just click on Properties, Customize, Choose File and then pick one of the files.  That gives you a picture of a folder with the picture file you chose.  Like this:

3- Is there a reason to keep the pictures isolated in their own folders?
1-I am looking for a macro recorder to make mass change of folders. So I will check tiny task. Thanks for advice.

2-Changing folders icon or chancing picture takes just about same time. And also chancing icon looks much cooler:) (as you see If I wasn't an obssesed person I wouldn't ask a question like that:))

3- Yes I have to keep a texture (bump, height, diffuse vs.) in the same folder. Because you have to use them all for to make a texture map. If you use them all correctly in a 3d model they will look like real. And every folder have different substance texture(like marble, snow, metal vs.).

Ahmet Onur AKOL

Ahmet Onur AKOL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

"Pulover's Macro Creator" works very well for my task. If anyone need https://www.macrocreator.com/download/

It doesn't make mass change but it manually do what I need. You just need to learn to write macro. It is easy to write basic things to make a macro but it is hard to do it flawless.