Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thunderbird: yahoo won't accept password from thunderbird

thunderbird yahoo passwords

• Please log in to reply

sally4

sally4

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Suddenly Thunderbird can't access my sbcglobal.net email, which arrives via yahoo. Message reads "sending of password for user (my email address) did not succeed. Mail server inbound.att.net responded: server error - Please try again later".

I also can't send an email. 

Sometimes I get a message about trying another password, but the password is correct - I can use the usual password to open directly from yahoo.

Account is a POP mail server, inbound.att.net, port 995. 

Security SSL/TLS, normal password

Outgoing lists my email address - smpt.att.yahoo.com

AT&T - outbound.att.net 

port 465, normal password

I've been using Thunderbird since Outlook Express was dropped. I transferred the files and the filing system from OE and have added to it since then. The files store much of my life since 2003. The system is very useful. All the data is backed up regularly, I would like to keep using this system and to have all important emails saved in one massive filing system. 

I noticed that thunderbird updated around the time the system stopped working. I downloaded the most recent thunderbird update to see if there was a glitch during the recent update. That didn't help. I tried opening thunderbird from safe mode - that didn't help either.

I am suspicious of the free avast software but don't know how to test that. I've had that for several years too, don't know why it would suddenly be a problem. I read about problems with incompatibility but don't feel comfortable shutting down some security settings so have not experimented with that yet. 

I would try going back to the second-to-last version of thunderbird if I knew how - I don't. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Sally4

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

yahoo.com did some changes recently that requires the use of specific passwords created for use in applications that are considered insecure its possibly that this change affects also other accounts hosted on yahoo servers!

Hey Yahoo Member,

Head’s up: As of 20 October 2020, Yahoo Mail will no longer support third-party applications (such as third-party email, calendar, or contact applications) using outdated sign-in methods. That just means if you’re still signing in to your Yahoo account via another email application, like the default email application on your phone, you need to make some quick updates to ensure your mailbox isn’t interrupted.

Check: https://help.yahoo.c...s-sln15241.html

sally4

sally4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Thank you for the reply. Mozilla support suggesting getting a "secure mail key". That is working fine.