Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojans and Coin Miners Have Taken Over

• Please log in to reply

BMiles

BMiles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I do not have any restore points saved apparently.

Edited by BMiles, 02 December 2020 - 04:54 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Are you able to connect both drives up at the same time & boot off the old drive?

Check the new drive with HDTune   See if it looks flat

Sending you a PM with my next suggestion.

If all else fails then:

Since the drive is new there is probably not very much new data on it.  You could move that to the old drive then reinstall Windows from the USB or try cloning the old drive onto the new.  AOMEI is supposed to be good at cloning from a hard drive to an SSD:

https://www.ubackup....ware.html?__c=1

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If you do not have a spare drive bay (or cabling) on your desktop for the second hard drive you can temporarily disconnect the DVD drive and use its cables.  Drive doesn't need to be mounted just protected so ti doesn't short anything out.

BMiles

BMiles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi again. Sorry I got really busy with work ove the last few days and had to focus. I'm going to reclone my old HDD. Is it ok if I send a fresh FRST log when I'm back in?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Sure

BMiles

BMiles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Weird observation as I was gathering what I needed from the new ssd to put it on the old HDD before cloning. The Ngc folder was missing. I copied it over and it still didn't work, but now I had the option to choose users. I still got the same errors on mine. But I had the option to enter a password for a new user... I tried a few options that didn't work. Does that stir up any ideas for you?

BMiles

BMiles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Weird observation as I was gathering what I needed from the new ssd to put it on the old HDD before cloning. The Ngc folder was missing. I copied it over and it still didn't work, but now I had the option to choose users. I still got the same errors on mine. But I had the option to enter a password for a new user... I tried a few options that didn't work. Does that stir up any ideas for you?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Not sure what an Ngc folder is.  What User did you get the password option for?

BMiles

BMiles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Apparently the Ngc folder holds all of the "hello" sign in options. It was new user, but it went away by the next reboot. Now I'm thinking the issue may be tied to the fact that my old computer was connected to my old school organization. On the old HDD I couldn't access pin options in the settings when that was connected, I removed it and then was able to fix it. But since the new ssd was cloned with the old settings it still is "attached" to my old school org thus having a pin problem and not being able to overwrite the Ngc folder.

This time I am definitely recloning. I feel all options have been exhausted at this point. I'm just doing some clean up of apps and stuff beforehand

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

OK

Advertisements