Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Error Encountered (0x8024a105) (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer mlansky , 19 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

Hi phillpower2, Sorry for the late late late reply! I kept putting this off and then off again. How are you doing? Thank you for leaving my topic open for this amount of time, it is greatly ap... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

mlansky

mlansky

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi,

I recently tried running Windows Update for Windows 10 and I keep encountering this error message every time I try to update, "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024a105)" I have run the Windows Update troubleshoot, re-started my computer several times and then tried again to run Windows Update but I'm still getting the error message up above.

Can someone please help me out as I would love to get this issues resolved. Thank you so much.

Kind regards,

mlansky

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hello mlansky,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Hi phillpower2,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will follow the steps that you listed.

http://speccy.pirifo...5FdjOKIn67ncbRI

Thanks again for your help,

mlansky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

Looks like the computer being a couple of years behind on updates means that you are going to have to clean install Windows 10 and the system drivers.

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Not configured

Hotfixes
Installed
12/4/2020 2020-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 (KB4537572)

Couple of questions;

Did you upgrade this computer from Windows 7 to 10 using the free upgrade option.

What is the exact model name or number of the HP notebook, we need to check to see if there are any Windows 10 drivers available.

You are welcome  :)

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hello mlansky,

Looks like the computer being a couple of years behind on updates means that you are going to have to clean install Windows 10 and the system drivers.

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Not configured

Hotfixes
Installed
12/4/2020 2020-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 (KB4537572)

Couple of questions;

Did you upgrade this computer from Windows 7 to 10 using the free upgrade option.

What is the exact model name or number of the HP notebook, we need to check to see if there are any Windows 10 drivers available.

You are welcome  :)

Hi Phillpower2,

Thanks again for your reply. It is much appreciated. Yes I believe I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in July 2016 using the free upgrade option. I remember I kept putting it off until I eventually just had to update to Windows 10. Here is the exact model name/model of the HP Notebook 'G72-860US'. I hope that helps.

As far as I know, my laptop was still updating as of this past April 2020 from the 'View Update History'. I remember getting updates from Windows on a regular basis as well up until probably April/May 2020. I really hope that I don't have to do a clean install of Windows 10.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

There are no Windows 10 drivers for your notebook which means that should a clean install be required you will have to use certain Windows 7 drivers after the clean install of Windows, worry about this later and for now lets see if we can fix Windows.

Download then run the free Windows All in One Repair tool from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here

Can I ask that you do not quote every reply as I have to read the full post to make sure nothing gets missed, thanks.

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Sorry about that, I will not 'Quote Reply' anymore. I am not 100% sure of the steps you provided. I don't want to mess anything up so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly so please bear with me. Did you want me to just run the 'Windows All in One Repair Tool' first? Furthermore, am I just downloading the Windows All In One Repair Tool' version 4.10.2 from any of the three (3) download locations from the link you provided first and running that? Also, how do I create a new restore point?

Thanks again,

mlansky

Edited by mlansky, 09 December 2020 - 10:50 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Type "restore point" in the search bar and it will bring up the link for you to go to to create the restore point.

As for the other question please wait on Phil.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

No worries, better to ask if not sure on anything.

Download from any of the three, each are from a reputable source, as for the steps please read again the following from my reply #6;

disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here

Thanks for explaining the restore point steps 123Runner  :thumbsup:

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi philpower2,

Thanks again. So just to clarify so that I'm following everything.

1. Download the 'Windows All in One Repair Tool' from any of the three (3) links you provide in reply #6.

2. Create a 'New Restore Point'.

3. Follow the steps/instructions for the 'Windows Clean Boot'.

4. Restart my laptop.

5. Run the 'Windows All in One Repair Tool'.

Is that the correct order of steps that I should follow? Then once I finish running the the 'Windows All in One Repair Tool', what should I do? Sorry just want to get everything correct here so I don't make any mistakes.

Thanks again for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

mlansky

123Runner: Thanks for clarifying with regards to the restore point :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

Correct  :thumbsup:

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go this week and get back to you. "Then once I finish running the the 'Windows All in One Repair Tool', what should I do?"

Thanks for all your help.

mlansky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello mlansky,

After running the tool, restart the computer and check to see if you can check for and install Windows updates then post back with an update for us.

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I just wanted to give you a heads up that I haven't run the scan yet. I have been busy with Christmas stuff, etc. Also to be honest. I'm a little bit scared to run it even though I know everything will be fine. I hope you understand. I will set everything up and do it by years end. I hope everything is going good with you? Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards,

mlansky

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mlansky,

No worries, have as good an Xmas as you can and only get to this when you are ready  :thumbsup: