Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application Failed to Start Because no QT Platform Plugin-OneDrive [So

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi,

Hi I'm running Windows10 (Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363) on a Dell Inspiron 3583.  I am having 2 issues; however, I'm not sure if they are related.  Upon restart, I am getting a dialog stating that this application failed to start because no QT platform plugin could be initialized.  And, it has OneDrive specified.  I attached the screenshot.  I have tried various things, to no avail.  This issue just started happening; about a week ago.

Prior to that, I noticed that when I clicked START and began typing in a search--e.g., "Control Panel", it does not come up.  Also, I typed in "Command Prompt"; it does not come up.  And, OneDrive App does not come up.  I use these often and they have always come up.  If I type cmd in the search bar, the "cmd Run command" will come up.  And, if I type in Word, the Word App will come up.

I'm not sure how many other shortcut Apps are not successfully loading; but it looks like the search content is not loading properly.  I tried several things from hits I found; however, I have not been able to fix this issue either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please let me know if you need anything additional from me.  Thank you,

Regards,
Vickie

Advertisements

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Attachment of the error

Attached Thumbnails

• QTscreenshot.PNG

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Search for the file OneDriveSetup.exe in the computer and click on it. See if the issue disappears.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

If that won't help, check the integrity of the protected files:

open a Command Prompt as an administrator. At the prompt type or copy and paste the following command and press Enter:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If a corruption is found, please type the following command and press Enter

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

In any case, also type the following command and press Enter:

SFC /ScanNow

If successful type the following and press Enter:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%"\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Type Exit and press Enter to leave the prompt.

This will create a file on your desktop, sfcdetails.txt. Please post its contents in a reply.

Let me know any error you may experience with this.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Search for the file OneDriveSetup.exe in the computer and click on it. See if the issue disappears.

Thank you for looking into this.  I did a search and found OneDriveSetup.exe in the 2 directories listed below.  When I click it on, I get a message stating that a newer version of OneDrive is installed and I need to uninstall it first before installing this version.  (Screenshot is attached).

When I go to Control Panel/Program and Features/Uninstall a program, I do not see OneDrive installed.  I will try the DISM commands that you posted in your 2nd reply.  

C:\>dir onedrivesetup.exe /s
 Volume in drive C is OS
 Volume Serial Number is 3C72-7C41

Directory of C:\Windows\SysWOW64

03/19/2019  01:20 AM        28,832,864 OneDriveSetup.exe
               1 File(s)     28,832,864 bytes

Directory of C:\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-onedrive-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.18362.1_none_01f25b79d7a97c4b

03/19/2019  01:20 AM        28,832,864 OneDriveSetup.exe
               1 File(s)     28,832,864 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               2 File(s)     57,665,728 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  140,151,365,632 bytes free

C:\>

Attached Thumbnails

• OneDriveInstallScreen.PNG

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Check the integrity of the protected files as mentioned before. 

If you are not using OneDrive, follow these steps:

1. Look in the system tray and right-click on the OneDrive icon. 
  2. Then, click on “Settings.” Once OneDrive’s settings panel opens, 
  3. click on “Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows” to disable OneDrive from starting.
  4. Now, click on “Unlink OneDrive” as well to unlink your Microsoft account with the PC’s version of OneDrive.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Okay, I tried the commands.  Listed below is what I did.  There were no corruption detected; so I did NOT run the "RestoreHealth".  I ran the ScanNow and it completed successfully.  However, when I ran the "findstr" command, it could not find the path.  It looks like "Desktop" is under "OneDrive" directory structure.  So, I just ran it manually, as you will see below.  The sfcdetails file is attached.

One other thing I noticed is that now when I type START and enter "Control Panel" in the search bar, it finds it; but it lists it as Control Panel with "Control panel" underneath it--not "App" underneath it like it was before.  But, "OneDrive" and "Command Prompt" apps are still not being found going through the search bar.  Thanks...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.1256]
© 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.18362.1139

Image Version: 10.0.18363.1256

[==========================100.0%==========================] No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>SFC /ScanNow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%"\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd \

C:\>findstr /c:"[SR]" \Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > C:\Users\vtmck\OneDrive\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

C:\>

Attached Files

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Check the integrity of the protected files as mentioned before. 

If you are not using OneDrive, follow these steps:

1. Look in the system tray and right-click on the OneDrive icon. 
  2. Then, click on “Settings.” Once OneDrive’s settings panel opens, 
  3. click on “Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows” to disable OneDrive from starting.
  4. Now, click on “Unlink OneDrive” as well to unlink your Microsoft account with the PC’s version of OneDrive.

The thing is that I do not see OneDrive anywhere; it is not in the system tray and I don't see it in Task Manager running.  I use it all the time and now, of course, I'm having trouble syncing files that I put on OneDrive because I can't find it running anywhere.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

1. Press Windows+R

2. Copy and paste the following and press Enter:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive

Take a screenshot of that window and attach it to a reply.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Attached is the content of Windows+R 

Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails

• WinR.PNG

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Please click on the OneDrive Application, and let me know what would happen. Check if the cloud appears in the system tray.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I get the same message (see attached) that I've been getting when I attempt to start it; and it does NOT appear in the tray.

Attached Thumbnails

• OneDriveStartError.PNG

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Run this command at a command prompt:

Reg query HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment > "%Userprofile%"\Desktop\Environment.txt

That should produce a file on your desktop, Environment.txt. Please post its contents.

vtmckoy

vtmckoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I ran this:  C:\>Reg query HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment > "%Userprofile%"\OneDrive\Desktop\Environment.txt (file attached).

Attached Files

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Run this command at a command prompt:

Path > "%Userprofile%"\Desktop\Environment.txt

That should overwrite a file on your desktop, Environment.txt. Please post its contents.