Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 won't boot, restore etc - tried many things! help p

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

netrate

netrate

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Here is my situation with my windows 10/window 7 dual boot (two separate SSD's)

Windows 10 stopped booting.   It has been working for approx 1 year. 

I have tried multiple ways to get it to boot, nothing is working at present that I have tried.  Windows 10 is partitioned on a 500 gig SSD Samsung EVO drive

Here is what happened:

Sunday, booted to windows 10 from my dual boot drive (win 7/win 10) -- I am using EasyBCD

Windows 10 : 

Desktop Icons did not appear, task manager did not work, task bar did not appear

Rebooted several times, with the same result each time

What I have tried : 

*  NOTE : I have unplugged my win 7 drive during these attempts *

1) Booting to win 10, I managed to get to the Advanced Options, Troubleshooting and tried a the advanced options REPAIR - didn't work

2) Used the Media Creation Tool, booted to it USB and tried a MCT REPAIR - didn't work

3) Tried using cmd from Troubleshooting - fixboot, fixmbr etc in the command prompt - successful in the CMD, but did not fix the problem, will not boot

4) Tried using the Advanced Option RESTORE drive using the MCT - using the option to  keep my personal files - went to 47% before failure, reverted changes

5) Using the Advanced Options/ Troubleshooting, I have tried uninstalling recent updates - didn't work

6) It will not let me use F8 and boot to SAFE MODE in advanced options/troubleshooting - does not work

7) Stop code 0xc000021a  - BSOD

8) The integrity of the drive is 99% according to Crystal Disk Info

9) There are no system restore points (I have learned my lesson now)

10) It has been suggest that  I run chkdsk /r , but after reading this article, I am afraid of doing that without backing up the entire drive first 

www.datanumen.com/blogs/4-top-risks-when-you-run-chkdsk-on-hard-drive/#:~:text=CHKDSK%20is%20able%20to%20check,unrecoverable%20damage%20to%20your%20drives.&text=Windows%20has%20a%20native%20disk,is%20misused%20in%20some%20cases. 

11) To repeat - I cannot boot to win 10 so I cannot execute any programs or command inside the OS.  I can only use CMD.

12) I have NOT backed up anything yet.  In the process of buy a new HD for that.

I am at a loss how to proceed.  As you can see, I have not been idle and I have done some searching on how to repair this, but nothing I have tried seems to work.  Wondering if anyone has another idea or two or three?

I have been posting on a couple of forums trying to get to the bottom of this because it is my work computer - i am seeking out as many expert opinions as I can!  I apologize if that upsets anyone. I don't want to come across as pushy or ungrateful, I just really want to get this fixed.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Have you been able to solve the problem?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Nope.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You may need to try chkdsk if all else fails, not taking too much notice of the blog you linked, as I have never made things worse using it.

1.   From your Windows USB stick, > trouble-shooter > CMD as Admin.

type sfc /scannow > press Enter,   after completion, exit CMD and restart.

Regardless of success or not.

Navigated to the CMD again. Type dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth > press Enter,  after completion > exit CMD and restart.  

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Does the cleanup-image delete the drive?  I want to keep the info if possible...

Also, when windows 7 boots, it does a chkdsk on the drives.  I let it run the first time and windows 10 :

"Deleting extended attribute set point in file due to the presence of a re parse point in the file"

This went through my entire Win 10 drive and I couldn't stop it.  Having no other option, I let it run.  Now that was running from win 7 boot (no cmd).

I have yet to try the scandsk through booting to win 10 cmd prompt yet because I need to buy a drive today to back everything up first.

Edited by netrate, 12 December 2020 - 09:02 AM.

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I tried to backup my Win 10 hard drive using MR and got this :

FAILED : 0x8004231F - Idispath error #8479 Retrying without VSS writers.

Error: com call "m_pVssObject -> BackupComplete(&pAsynce)" Failed.

returned HRESULT - 0x80042301

Error text : VSS_E_BAD_STATE

Backup aborted.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

"Does the cleanup-image delete the drive?  I want to keep the info if possible."

No; both sfc /scannow and dism process only the the Window OS files.

In your original post you said,

"*  NOTE : I have unplugged my win 7 drive during these attempts *"

Instructions were to be run on W10 drive without the W7 drive connected.

"Also, when windows 7 boots, it does a chkdsk on the drives.  I let it run the first time and windows 10 :"

Have you re connect the W7 drive? 

due to the presence of a re parse point.

The message is often generated when there is a duel boot problem.  What drive/s are connected when you got this message?   

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Just noticed your post #6.   

I don't know what the errors are.   MR not working because of OS system problems or Duel boot issues.

I would try to fix W10 before attempting backups. 

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Yes I have dual boot. That is what I am trying to do, but if I mess up my data on win 10, then it is a moot point anyway.  I need to back up win 10 first and then tackle the boot issue.

1)  Win 7 - c drive, has EasyBCD on it.  It boots.  Kingston 120 gig SSD

2)  Win 10 - d drive, does not boot anymore (it used to work up until last week).

3) I have tried a host of things to fix this, including what is in this video :    - only win 10 drive attached

4) Booting to Media Creation Tool and trying Repair DOES NOT WORK - errors out - only win 10 drive attached

5) Booting to Advance Troubleshooting repair - DOES NOT WORK - errors out - only win 10 drive attached

Now because I couldn't boot to win 10 (D drive), the only way to continue to work was re-attaching my win 7 drive and booting to it.

Now Scandisk :

This only occurred since win 10 stopped working

1) When booting to windows 7 for the first time after the issue of window 10 not working, a text screen asks me to scan the attached disks.  I said yes, because I thought I should.  That is when the error occurred only on the D drive (win 10) : due to the presence of a re parse point.:

2) Since there was no way to stop this scandisk at the time, I let it run through

3) Now when I boot to windows 7, I skip checking the drives by pressing space for each drive to skip.

4) I can boot to Win 7 ,but booting to win 10 brings me to the BSOD

5) a second boot brings me to the Advance Troubleshooting which I then can use CMD

I would like to post a screen shot, but it says I am not allowed to post screenshots from imgr

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks, that a much clearer picture.

Sorry, I am just about to leave for a lunch appointment, will be back on line about 5pm, Australia, my time.

Advertisements

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Ok, I used to live there myself, so I get the time difference.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I will wait for the image you want to upload before replying.

To take a screenshot

With the image you want displayed on the screen.
> Hold down the ALT key and Press the PRT SCR (nothing appears to happen, but the image is copied to the Clipboard.)

> Click on start, > all programs...accessories, > click paint.

In the window that opens, >  left click in the white area  > Hold down CTRL and press V. 

On the top menu, > click File > click Save as, jpeg,.

save to desktop...with suitable name.

How to upload to G2G. 

Click the More Reply Options, (bottom right next to the blue reply button.) > Type text as normal.

If the file or image already exists, > Click Choose file... (bottom left)

In the window that opens, > Browse to the file or image you want to upload, > Click the file/image you want, wait for confirmation at bottom left,

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Here is the new disk management screen from Win 7.  

Disk 0 : this is a storage HDD/platter drive - no issues with this.  I usually unhook it before trying to fix anything in CMD

Disk 1/ win 7 :  I have successfuly imaged this disk

Disk 2/ Win 10 : this is the one that WILL NOT let me use Macrium Reflect to image and causes the error.

- System reserved with 579mb is the partition that won't image

- Using Macrium Reflect, I believe I have successfully managed to image partition F and G

- Using Macrium Reflect, Healthy (recovery partition) was successfully partitioned using MR

Attached Thumbnails

• 2020-12-13 09_45_11-Disk Management 01.png

Edited by netrate, 13 December 2020 - 08:52 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When you installed W10, was it to MBR or GPT partition table?

Did you install just Reflect, or include PE?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

When you installed W10, was it to MBR or GPT partition table?

Did you install just Reflect, or include PE?

Ok I am a bit confused.

When I installed Win 10 it was using the MCT.  Win 7 was already running on the system for a few years before that.  I then used EasyBCD to dual boot.

I don't know if I realised whether I made a distinction when I was installing - I just read that GPT is for larger drives, so I don't think so.  I think I let it install to the win 10 drive and made partition for win 10 and one for storage.

I installed MR - I don't know what PE is, so I am guessing no.

Edited by netrate, 13 December 2020 - 06:14 PM.