Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 won't boot, restore etc - tried many things! help p

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Go ahead and Reset this PC.  Will see you in the AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Been out all day but still sticky beaking; that was a big session, thanks JSntgRvrhope the next post sees Windows up and running. 

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Been out all day but still sticky beaking; that was a big session, thanks JSntgRvr. hope the next post sees Windows up and running. 

Me too. :)

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I'm at work late tonight so I will resume the effort when I return home, hopefully before I pass out!

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
👌

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

This is my first chance to respond, been working like mad.

What will reset this PC do?  Does it erase all of my programs?  files?

Edited by netrate, 18 December 2020 - 06:39 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Reset this PC should give you 2 options, 1. to keep your files, all aplications and drivers not installed from windows store are removed, a list is place on the desktop.   2, remove all, a fresh install of windows is installed.

You were at the correct place in post #72,\.

Up until post #62 windows was not recognised, now that it is, I think you should try a sfc /scannow and dism/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

It is done, old copy of windows.  Now the long arduous task or reinstalling everything, downloading and trying to find out what I lost.  I hope I can get my old bookmarks too!

Hopefully, these are the final questions 

1) how should I handle the dual boot now that the win 10 is working?  I still have my win 7 drive (that works). 

2) Should I continue to use EasyBCD for dual boot?

3) When I boot win 7 (the drive that works) -although it never did this before the win 10 crash, it now does a chkdsk of all drives when booting.  I have had to press a key to stop it since the crash.  I am not sure if this is supposed to happen or not AND whether this will affect the new win 10 drive that is now fixed.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Haven't try Dual Boot. I have contacted iammykyl for assistance.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You did a Refresh?   Windows Old is auto removed after 10 days, so search for your data.   You will have to reinstall programs, update device drivers, your bookmarks should still be in your browser when you install it and log in.

Check that system restore is configured correctly then, create a restore point and label it "before windows old is removed"   

Big surprise this morning, computer would not boot, BSOD, need to repair you PC.   Posting from an old W7 computer.

"EasyBCD for dual boot?"

Not with the W10 disk connected; EBCD may be corrupt and you may get a failed boot and the original BSOD.

​I will look into repairing it or revert to Windows Boot Manager.

chkdsk will run if a previous scan has detected a problem, or, if the PC is not shut down correctly, or, USB sticks are being removed unsafely.

Let it run then look in the logs to see if there is a problem. 

Advertisements

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

I am in the process of taking my old.windows and replacing it all.  I didn't think it would take this long.

DUAL BOOT :

1) I have not connected up both win 7 and win 10 dual boot drives yet.  I have only worked on them one at a time at this point

2) Should i delete the EasyBCD from win 7?  Will that cause any issues?

3) I was going to put the win 10 samsung at the at the top of the boot order in the BIOS so it will use the win 10 boot system to select.  Is that correct?

4) I need to back up my Win 7 with macrium before I go any further with starting dual boot.

5) should I use chkntfs /x on the Win 10 drive so it doesn't check that drive when booting to Win 7?

Edited by netrate, 20 December 2020 - 12:48 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Backup W7 and let us know when done.   Don't do anything else for the moment. 

I am installing EasyBCD so I can look at the Backup/Repair functions.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I have found a solution for the boot problem using Macrium.

Is W10 still running chckdisk at star up?

netrate

netrate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

No, it is win 7 that is.  Here is the current situation :

I am taking my 120gig kingston SSD (with win 7) and wanting to CLONE it onto my 240gig Kingston SSD (the 240gig is the one I was using as the test drive for win 10 in case all else failed.  There is nothing on it except a new copy of win 10).

The drive I am presently using for Win 7 (120 gig kingston) is too small, so I want to take everything else and CLONE it to the 240gig drive.

After i complete that, I will again attempt to run my dual boot from win 7 on the 240gig kingston.

Questions: 

1) Should I format the 240 using the disk management under win 7 before starting the process of CLONING?
* note, this has a brand new copy of win 10 on it, so it is already partitioned.

** I have backed up the 240 gig win 10 copy, just in case I need it in the future

2) How do I set up the partitions for cloning the full drive of 120gig to one that is 240 gig?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

No, it is win 7 that is

My mistake, was working on that the W10 drive still had the chckdisk issue. 

I am taking my 120gig kingston SSD (with win 7) and wanting to CLONE it onto my 240gig Kingston SSD (the 240gig is the one I was using as the test drive for win 10 in case all else failed.  There is nothing on it except a new copy of win 10).

That's different from the original of dual booting from 2 separate drives and would require a different dual boot method.   Also there is something wrong with the W7 drive and a clone would have the same issues.

The drive I am presently using for Win 7 (120 gig kingston) is too small, so I want to take everything else and CLONE it to the 240gig drive.

2 OSs on the 250GB drive may still give you space issues.   You would need to reduce the W10 partition to give a practical significant size for the W7 partition. 

After i complete that, I will again attempt to run my dual boot from win 7 on the 240gig kingston.

If you did not fix the W7 issues you would still have problem

-------------------------------------------

1) Should I format the 240 using the disk management under win 7 before starting the process of CLONING?
* note, this has a brand new copy of win 10 on it, so it is already partitioned.

Answer.

No.   You will need to shrink the W10 partition first then, use cloning software to transfer W7 to the unallocated space.

2) How do I set up the partitions for cloning the full drive of 120gig to one that is 240 gig?

Answer.

Again, use cloning software.

----------------------------------------------------

Questions:

Where have you backed up the W10 OS?

Please do the following. With only the W7 disk attached.

Boot and let chckdisk run, close the window.

Open disk management > in the left window > right click the drive, . click properties from the drop down menu. > click Tools at the top of the window > click Check in error checking.

If a window opens saying not needed, still run it.

When complete, restart.

Did chckdisk run again?