Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Canon MX 992 will not print

Canon Printer

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I received (for free) a Canon MX992 printer that the former owner said was working.  My computer is operating Windows 10.  I loaded the computer via Windows' "Add a Printer" i the Devices and Printers window in the Control Panel .  I loaded the drivers from the Canon web-page.  I attached the printer via the USB cable directly to the computer.  (I have been using a Canon MX882 until now with no problems.)

I sent a Word, an Excel and a WordPerfect document to be printed.  The printer whirred and produced a blank page in each case.  I tried the copy function as well, again a blank page.  Troubleshooting said all is working OK.

I'd appreciate some help.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Inkjets which sit for a while often get clogged jets and won't print at all (tho they pretend to). 

Can't find a manual for a 992 but the 920 is probably close enough.  Its manual is at:

https://www.usa.cano...922?tab=manuals

See Page 17 for the procedure for clearing clogged jets

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

RKinner,

I could not print the Nozzle Check pattern.  I got an error message that the printer was not responding.  I then tried to print from Word to see if I at least got a blank page, rather, the printer just sat, no whirring, etc.  I checked the cable connection and it was fine.  (This is the same cable that worked 2 days ago with my older MX 882.)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

The Nozzle Check Pattern not working has nothing to do with cabling or with your PC.   It should work from the printer's LCD screen even if the cable is disconnected.   Try power cycling the printer then make sure there is paper in the printer then see if the cleaning or deep cleaning will work or maybe the roller cleaning.  Try removing each of the ink cartridges and reinstalling.  Do the cartridges have any ink?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

RKinner,

Yes, I used the menu options on the printer and it did print the Nozzle check pattern and what a mess.  It has no black grid at the top.  It has 3 blue bars, the first is the darkest, then 3 blank bars then one yellow bar.  On the left all the small rectangles are green; the letters are C for the first 3, M for the next 3 and Y for the bottom one.

I tried Cleaning from the Maintenance window on the printers little screen.  When done I printed the pattern again and got no change.  I then selected Deep Cleaning.  After Deep Cleaning, the only change was that the 4th bar, that previously was blank, now is faintly pink.   I again selected Deep Cleaning and agian printed the pattern.  This time the one pinkish bar disappeared.

I guess this means I may need to do some type of thorough cleaning?

Also, don't I need some type of installation software, other than the drivers.  For my MX880, there was software the let me save scanned documents, etc.

Another item.  When I first click the Menu button, the window shows Photograph as highlighted.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

The manual says to try deep cleaning twice then wait 24 hours and try it again.  If all else fails you have to buy new ink cartridges.

This site claims that this software works for your printer:

https://canon-mx492....ivers-software/

Can't find anything on an official Canon site.  Perhaps the 992 is not sold in the US.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I "Deep Cleaned" two more times and there was no change in the print out.  Also, I installed both black cartridges when I received the printer 4 days ago.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

See if this helps:

https://castleink.co...n-printer-heads

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

The previous owner (my neighbor) says this printer was working perfectly just 2 weeks ago.  I assume that the issue is not one which will be fixed by cleaning the head.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Seems to me if cleaning the printhead is not an option that the only thing you can do is toss the printer.  This is not a setup issue.  The builtin Nozzle Check Pattern doesn't care what the printer is connected to.  If it fails then it fails.  The next step after doing the deep cleans several times is to clean the printhead.