Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate External Hard Drive Is Beeping

• Please log in to reply

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

When I connect my hard drive to my laptop, it just beeps and will not connect.  What do I need to do to get it to connect and show up?  I have Windows 10.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts

Hello yoursangoma,

Most commonly, a beeping noise is caused by internal components of a hard drive being unable to move as usual. It is not a programmed “beep” that you hear but is rather the sound of stuck parts inside the device trying to move. Some of the causes of a beeping hard drive include:

Stuck Actuator Arm
    Stiction of the stacked heads under the parking ramp or on the platter
        Stiction is the friction that prevents surfaces that are stationary from being set into motion
    Broken or Seized Motor or Spindle
        This prevents the platters from spinning
    Shorted Printed Circuit Board (PCB)

https://www.secureda...d-drive-beeping

oliverpowell

oliverpowell

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hard drive beeping sound is really abnormal and it indicates that drive is physically damaged. If you are technically skilled then i would suggest you to try some fixes mentioned below

1. Check if dust placed on the drive, if it is there then clear it
  2. Replace SATA cable and see if drive starts recognized by system
  3. Plug drive into another port, might be you are plugging drive into non compatible port
  4. Connect external drive to another computer and see if drive behaves same

Hope these fixes will help you!