Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Hard Drive Icons

• Please log in to reply

Tremortime

Tremortime

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Does anybody know of a way to change the icons for your main partioned drives under my computer?

Thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

maxoys45

maxoys45

• Pip
  • 6 posts
One way to change it is to get a program called IconPackager. Its a simple program that lets you change all your icons. It costs money but if your finger slips on limewire or kazaa your cant be blaimed :tazz:

There are also similar programs like it that i cant remember the name of.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Or you can right click your drive and click properties, then select icon to the left, and search for icons and click ok then apply.

Icon Packager is a great program with many cool Icon packages.

Jedi :tazz:

Tremortime

Tremortime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Jedi, I'm not sure where you are seeing the change icon under properties. You are talking about the main partitions, right, not other subfolders?

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yeah, open up my computer, right click on C: Drive or any partition, and select properties, icons is to the right.

Tremortime

Tremortime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
my_comp_screenshot.JPG

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hmm, weird.

Okay, open my computer, click tools<fodler options<file types<

Look for the drive file type, should be something like this.

icon(NONE) Drive

Click this, the advanced button down teh bottom should now be selectable, click it.

Edit file type should popup, click change icon. Search for a new icon.

You can even use exe files say you have divx player. Simply click teh divx.exe file, and it should give you a choice of some icons you can use. Experiment.

Tremortime

Tremortime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I hate to say it, but the drive icons did not actually change. However, I unfortunately have a much bigger problem. Now, whenever I click on my drive, it open the standard windows search window instead of the main drive directory. I see a place where it looks the cause of this problem is coming from (see the picture) but don't know how to get it back to normal. :tazz: my_comp_2.JPG

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Did you highlight find and click set default?

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
1. Click start<run, type in "regedit" in the box without quotes.
2. Navigate to this location

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive

3. Click on "shell", in the right pan to highlight it.
4. Right click on the 'Default' value and select modify
5. Replace what's in "value data" box with the word "none", without quotes.

Posted Image

Edited by Jedi, 18 July 2005 - 01:48 AM.

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
For the icons, I don't know how to change it other than using icon packager, but there is another way if you're up to it.

1. Click start<run, type in "regedit" in the box without quotes.
2. Navigate to this location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons

If the key does not already exist then create it.

3. Right click on the DriveIcons folder and create a new sub-key with a single letter representing the drive letter of the drive to be modified. (e.g. [HKEY...\DriveIcons\C])

To create a sub-key, simply right click on the DriveIcons folder, and a new menu will popup, select new, then key. Name it the letter of the drive you want to change the icon for.

4. Right click on the letter you specified to change, say C, and create another sub-key called "DefaultIcon" (e.g. [HKEY...\DriveIcons\C\DefaultIcon])

5. Set the "(Default)" value to equal the fully qualified name of the icon file. If the file contains more that one icon follow it with a comma and the zero-based index of the icon (e.g. "c:\icons\myicons.dll,4").

That's it.

If you want to change the name of the drive:

Create another sub-key within the drive letter key called "DefaultLabel" (e.g. [HKEY...\DriveIcons\C\DefaultLabel]) and set it's "(Default)" value to equal the label for the drive letter (e.g. "My ZIP Drive").

For example:

DefaultIcon
(Default) = c:\icons\myicons.dll,4

DefaultLabel
(Default) = My ZIP Drive

Here is an example tree of mine

Posted Image

kenwitkin

kenwitkin

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried Jedi's solution to this problem and it worked one time after I rebooted my computer.

The next time I rebooted my computer all my partitions reverted back to their original Windows XP Pro icons. It seems as if Windows XP Pro has a mind of its own.

Posted Image

Edited by kenwitkin, 07 August 2005 - 12:33 AM.

Edvin76

Edvin76

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but Ive just found the perfect solution:

Assign a custom icon to your flash drive!

It should work for internal drives too, though I haven't tried it yet.

Edited by Edvin76, 26 August 2008 - 02:30 PM.