Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Right click start menu search results

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Hello!

I hit windows key, type what I am searching for, and when I right click it to run as admin, the right click menu opens and closes fast, I can't even click in it. It's not double clicking because I can right click anything else, anywhere else, with no issues.

Also, when I open the start menu and click an item, the start menu remains open instead of closing. I just did a fresh install due to ransomware.

I've turned off antivirus and malware protectors. 

I've made sure it's all up to date, drivers, windows, everything.

I've made sure table mode is off.

I also changed and edited items in the registry.

I've ran powershell sfc /scannow, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth all came back fine

EDIT: I started in safe mode with networking and all services turned off, and it works fine. I also want to add that this is a fresh install. I had to use Samsung magician to wipe my nvme ssd, and then did a new windows install, after a ransomware issue.

EDIT 2: I also did the SSD optimization steps after the fresh install, that you can find by doing a search on google for "Optimizing SSD." Maybe that has something to do with it? However, before I had to install, those steps were also done and I didn't have the issue with the Start Menu.

Edited by heartgrave, 18 January 2021 - 04:23 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hello heartgrave,

Try
Re-registering Start Menu in Windows 10

See below on how to do it,

https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

Other related information might be worth a read.
https://answers.micr...6a-acd62bbf6187

Good luck and let us know

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Thank you. I get an error for each one.

Image 1 is for current user without elevation as instructed

Image 2 is for all users with elevation as instructed

EDIT: I re-ran the process after Killing Windows ShellExperience Host, and a blue banner across the top of powershell came up and went away with no errors! It does not resolve the issue though unfortunately.

Attached Thumbnails

• powershell.PNG
  • powershell 2.PNG

Edited by heartgrave, 18 January 2021 - 05:13 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Everything works in safe mode so something anti virus ,start up program could be interfering . Maybe uninstall anti virus completely could help. All I can think of now

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Well, idk what fixed it, but it works now. Thank you! I just forgot about it and let it go. I didn't try what you suggested. Thanks for the attempt though!

Edited by heartgrave, 15 February 2021 - 01:51 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

It's possible a few reboots fixed it.